Preferred Text Editor

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Gnat008, May 14, 2016.

1. Hello,

I was curious to see what people's favorite text editor is and why. The reason I ask is because I just installed Elementary OS, and am looking for something new to try out, and really only have experience with Vim, Nano, and gEdit (for Linux, that is. Not Windows).

Thanks for you input!

2. Hex

Hex
    IRC Staff

Vim, by far. Nano and gedit are weak while Vim has more scripting capacity than reality television. Also, don't use emacs.

3. Notepad++, it has modes for different file types. I like using to to write batch files, also love the multiple tabs
    EDIT: It is also open source :D https://notepad-plus-plus.org

4. I personally am a fan of Sublime Text. I use it on Windows, but there is a Linux version as well. I like that it has a simple UI, but is very expandable and easy to use.

5. I tried emacs once just to see what all the love/hate was about. I am firmly in the hate category. xD

@ExkalibreDesigns I have heard good things about Sublime, though I'm not a fan of the paid part. But the website says it's not currently enforced, so...

#5 Gnat008, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  6. Atom is the most advanced text editor I've seen. Just my issue is it tasks a little longer to load up. But it is worth it

atom.io

And it looks amazing compared to notepad. And works everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. You can download the free version, and the only difference is that every once in a while, when you save, it will pop up a message that you can close, reminding you that you can support the company and buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Big fan of sublime text.

9. You should try vi.

On a BSD Unix system and a DEC Unix system, I used to use emacs emulating TPU emulating EDT with additional custom key combinations.

EDIT: Found the emacs file to do the above - http://pastebin.com/2WeSpNEf

#9 Bobcat00, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  10. Either Gedit or Nano.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I use Sublime for web development, Notepad++ for all other general text editing.

12. Atom, because it is essentially emacs but with a fancier interface and newer. Emacs is essentially an operating system, minus a filesystem. There is a reason Atom is something like 500 megabytes...

13. I use NP++ but im planning on switching to sublime

14. I thought you'd use WebStorm tbh, anyways, I prefer Notepad++

15. I use phpstorm for.. well php, HTML/CSS/js don't really need IDEs

16. minelazz

Supporter

Hate all... :/ (Tried notepad++,textpad, Vim, gEdit, Nano, Slime something, Brackets etc).

Visual studio code (text editor) is a quite good, but it is slow to load (takes more than 2 second to load..)

So I got a project on school making any program Iwanted to, so I ended up creating my own text editor. Here is how long I have come;
    [​IMG]
    It is based on https://ace.c9.io/#nav=about, meaning it can "almost" take any syntax. It has also basic code completion.

It is written using windows 10 UWP (c#).

• Like Like x 2
  17. I thought this thread was about Unix text editors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Simply because it was a decent alternative to N++ on Ubuntu, I used Sublime Text 3, and when I got my Win10 laptop, it was the first to be downloaded.

19. Hex

Hex
    IRC Staff

That looks a lot nicer than anything I could ever come up with, nice job.

• Agree Agree x 1