Preloading chunks?

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Epixel, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Hello
    If I had a server with a worldborder of 10k x 10k, it would make a lot of lag if 200 players were to run in different directions all at once. Is there any way to prevent bad server performance caused by players loading a lot of chunks at once? Should you use a plugin, or do something else?

I was recently on a pvp server (with a border of 10k x 10k), and I noticed that they spent a day or more to "preload" the chunks of the map before the server opened. I'm not sure how it works, and this may be a dumb question, but is this even possible, and if so, how would you do it? Is it a plugin, or would flying around the map do the job? How would big servers prevent lag by having loads of chunks loading at once?
    Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nope its a 1 time function it just takes a long time and should be done when there aren't players online as it can cause some pretty intense lag

3. When you do that and finish loading all the map, make a backup of it, so when you restart the server "season/map" or whatever you have there you will just upload the pre-rendered map on the server.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. So all I will need to back up is the "world" folder?

5. That is correct.

• Useful Useful x 1