Premium plugins are not EULA compatible according to Mojang

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by Sataniel, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So, I've sent a mail to [email protected] to ask whether premium plugins break the EULA.....

----------

Hello Daniel,

We're sorry for the delayed response. Since you're asking, everyone who agrees to the EULA also agrees that "we have the final say on what constitutes a Mod and what doesn't". That is all information we have regarding this.

Best regards,

Brandon Andersson
    Intellectual Property Enforcement Agent
    Mojang AB

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 3:24 AM, Daniel Saukel wrote:
    Good evening,

I recently read in a discussion about Bukkit plugin monetization that selling plugins is considered not to be in line with your guidelines. I am surprised because I am not aware of any legal basis to forbid the sale of the respective authors' intellectual property. In contrast to many modifications, the mentioned plugins do not contain any software by Mojang. Instead, they are connected to the Bukkit API which is the intellectual property of voluntary contributors and licensed under the GNU GPLv3 license.

Quote:
    "To: Mojang Enforcement <[email protected]>
    Date: 2/29/2016
    Subject: Commercial Usage Guidelines clarification

Specifically the "Extended Functionality and 'Mods' " section... Is it acceptable for someone to create a CraftBukkit/Spigot plugin (you apparently consider plugins to be Mods) and then sell the plugin for money to server owners for use on their non-commercial or commercial CraftBukkit/Spigot servers?

The part which seems to apply is: "...YOU MAY distribute or make available plug-ins and other bits and pieces of extended functionality etc. that you create (together, 'Mods') for free and without any charge."

- - -

Date: 3/22/2016

Sorry, but that would not appear to be in line with our guidelines.

Best regards,
    Brandon Andersson"

Source:
    https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/free-plugins.146961/page-2#post-1562685

I and many other developers would highly appreciate a clarification as the initial one seems to be based on the misconception that a Bukkit plugin is comparable to a modification based on Mojang's software.

Best regards,
    Daniel Saukel

----------

#1 Sataniel, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Tux

Tux

Well, this doesn't apply to BungeeCord (which contains exactly 0 lines of code from Mojang), so I'm good.

• Like Like x 2
  3. clip

Benefactor

What they gonna do? Add my plugin to some blacklist? Haha

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Well, neither does the Bukkit API... Still don't know how why they think they're allowed to make any rules concerning it...

5. Plugins have nothing to do with the server, so why exactly are they "Not allowed"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Are you under the impression that the EULA is all about servers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I can see how they may make rules concerning plugins that touch CB and NMS directly, but not Bukkit, yeah :p

8. No, but say I buy a "Cosmetic" Plugin, that follows the EULA, or if I buy a different plugin that has very little change but, makes the server cooler. Is that considered "Not allowed"?

9. yes
    if it uses Mojang code (meaning NMS counts) then it can't be sold by the EULA
    if it's using just Bukkit API it should be fine

10. Gotcha.

11. Yes, selling plugins is considered not allowed. I don't think there's any legal basis on this, though. According to their EULA, you're not allowed to buy a potato if they consider it a Minecraft mod...

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Despite the fact that the potato is made without touching their code

13. Lol, yea they are making it almost impossible to make servers be "fun" now. XD

14. Mojang mojang mojang...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Completly Agree with this here, Mojang needs to stop saying what people can and cant do if its out of there bounds GL Mojang!

16. hahahhahahaha Clib you are not funny

17. They won't and cant do shit about people using premium plugins.

18. I hope Mojang sues me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. From md_5:

"Spigot / Bukkit is a standalone API. It does not link with Minecraft, it does not require Minecraft to function. Therefore it cannot be covered by the EULA. Mods are a different story, good thing we don't allow premium mods though :)"

Original thread:
    https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/premium-plugins-illegal.30367/

Hope that helped cleared up some things.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Thats what md_5 say ... bukkit was closed just because of the eula.Thats not so clearly as md_5 would like it. Thats a moral problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.