Premium plugins illegal distribution

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by victor2748, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am about to post a premium resource (plugin) on spigot, but I have a problem: after downloading my plugin, people can easily give it away to other people, or even upload it to special websites/forums to make it available to the public for free. I think that spigot should make an API /system that will allow premium resources to check if the user actually bought the resource and prevent it from distribution. There are numerous ways of doing it and I am willing to do whatever is in my power to help spigot achieve this. If anyone is with me or know how to push this idea to spigot's system, please reply.

Thank you,

Victor

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. I believed you are not able to DRM your plugin. I've seen people asked about this, but I forgot where it is. (Source request)

If a developer find someone else distributing his plugin illegally, he can contact whatever other website's owner to take it down, or ask a lawyer to protect your right. As for Spigot, he may ask an admin to ban that person, but who knows who is the one that distributed your plugin, heh?

I used to write premium plugins, not for money, but for fun. After I know those (↑) dark sides, I simply stopped releasing them. It is not reasonable to protect your plugin, nor does your copyright.

Paid resource is the source of all evils after all.

Regards,
    A Cynical Programmer who Hates Premium Resources

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Well, of course, I can get my lawyer to sue the illegal forum for distributing my paid resource, but isn't it WAAY easier for spigot to support an API for checking if the resource is purchaced? Like call the specific URL sending POST data about the purchase when it is made? That way developers can create their own licence server, and protect resources with licences.

4. You can't stop pirates. Arrrgh!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

If you find your resource being given away on another website feel free to e-mail [email protected] with the link and we can look into it however this is a risk of creating premium resources that will always be there.

6. Make it free and this will not be a problem ;)

• Winner Winner x 5
  7. samczsun

Supporter

Will I be jinxing the world if I say it's pretty much stopped?

Or rather, if not stopped, the peak has already been hit and leaking is slowing down... hard

8. Haha, maybe plugins will will become Cracked + Pirated!

9. Slowing down... maybe. Stopping, that's tough to say matey.

10. samczsun

Supporter

@MrHodge

All major plugin leaking sites down. The only general-purpose leaking site (eg not only spigot plugins) has leaked like 1 plugin in the past week (edit: one plugin that people would actually want. maybe 4 others that don't get any attention at all)

11. I know that it will always be an issue, but that is not the issue. The issue is that spigot is being almost ignorant to piracy of premium plugins. Once it is out on a forum, there is literally (almost) no way to take it out from there. Of course, I know that I can get my lawyer, spend a few thousands of dollars, find the forum hosting location, and sue the owner, but that is not something everyone is willing to do. People can simply distribute the plugins to each other in private, and there is no possible way for the developer to know that. Isn't it easier to protect them in the first place? It is fairly easy to do it from the spigot's side, and almost impossible from the developer's side with no help from spigot's system. Alright, let's say I even figured out a way to protect my premium plugins, am I allowed to make users purchase the license of the plugin on my website, and not through spigot's payment system? Or is my protection system violating the rules of Spigot (like it is on bukkit)?

12. samczsun

Supporter

@victor2748

To whom it may concern,

This letter is official notification under the provisions of Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") to effect removal of the reported infringements.
    I request that you immediately issue a cancellation message as specified in RFC 1036 for the infringing postings.
    Please be advised that law requires you, as a service provider, to "expeditiously remove or disable access to" the infringing contents upon receiving this notice.
    Noncompliance may result in a loss of immunity for liability under the DMCA.

The original material is located at the following URLs:

<!--Your Resource-->

The infringing material is located at the following URL:

<!--URL you want to destroy-->

My contact information is:

Name: <!--Your Name-->
    Mailing address: <!--Your Address-->
    Telephone number: <!--Your Phone-->
    Fax number: /
    E-mail address: <!--Your Email-->

I have a good faith belief that the use of the described material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.

I swear that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

/s/ <!--Your Name Again-->

Date: <!--The Date Goes Here-->

• Winner Winner x 5
  13. Thank you. That is very helpful actually, for reporting mass distribution of premium resources online for the public. But I will be honest, I have a friend who yesterday, sent me a copy of ActionBar plugin (http://www.spigotmc.org/resources/actionbar.1458/), I do not know his username, and I am not making this post to report him. I do not have a server anyways, so I do not have any use for it, and I might as well just remove it. But before I do that, I can send it to you to prove that I have it. It does not cost a lot (only 5 EUR), but it is still something, if I was a bad jerk, I could as well just give it to all my friends, while they will send it to their friends. Distribution does not always have to be public. And it is better to just protect the plugin once, than to police all the piracy sites for it, don't you think?

14. And btw, where to I post this letter if I find a premium plugin online for free?

15. samczsun

Supporter

@victor2748

Send the letter to any company located within the USA that is hosting your resource

16. Ok, and what if they simply tell me to screw off, and I do not have spare money have spare time and money for a lawyer to sue them?

17. samczsun

Supporter

@victor2748

I haven't had anyone tell me to screw off yet. As long as they're in the USA they're legally bound to take it down providing you gave a valid reason (I think. I'm not a lawyer)

18. Well, I understand that, but it is a pain-in-da-a$$ to read through a ton of obfuscated code, make sense of it, edit it, and recompile it again. It can be so difficult, that it will simply be easier to pay a few bucks for the plugin, than to try to crack a plugin. Yes everything downloadable, that is written in Java or C# can technically be cracked, but not practically.

19. I was referring to piracy in general, not only spigot plugins. Piracy was here, and it will be here for the rest of our lives! Argh!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I'd just like to pop in here and say that Leaking plugins isnt ilegal, well where i live atleast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.