1.17.x Protocol Lib Description

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by MineDudeMiner, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Hey, I’m a new to plugin development. I was wondering if someone can explain protocol lib to me in a simple summary.

2. Essentially, ProtocolLibs is a way to inject packets(information send from and to the server and the client). For example, you can make it so one player seems like they have vanished to another player, send a fake block that isn't actually there to a player, or even add a fake player like an NPC.

This is a way out of NMS Packets(which is using Minecraft server code directly), which change their methods and functionality almost every version. Protocol Libs makes multi-version support easier because their methods remain more constant than NMS. So a plugin that uses packets, can support many versions without a lot of extra work.

You can read more about it on their plugin page -> https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/protocollib.1997/

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Thanks so much! Would this also allow for things like client side npcs?

4. That is correct! You can fake a player entity spawn to one person.. or more.

Don't forget to mark this as solved.
    As well, If I helped out, a rating would also be appreciated :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1