publicly available updating process

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by pczmr8v5n454iycf, Mar 28, 2020.

?

Do you think the updating process should be publicly available?

1. yes

66.7%
  2. no

33.3%
  1. Public update process has many advantages just like open source software. Some warnings can be put in place to inform developers that the API is unstable. The server administrators may won't notice the warning message, so one can create a file like eula.txt for the server administrator to sign.
    (I posted the poll, but this poll doesn't make sense since everything is up to md_5)

#1 pczmr8v5n454iycf, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. Choco

This is a weird one in my opinion. On one hand the process remains closed source and only a trusted member can release reliable updates. Though on the other it becomes open and while the update process may be slightly quicker and is no longer prone to being abandoned, it allows for people to attempt to and possible fail building a future version of game - i.e. a snapshot which is severely unstable and can result in server issues. The problem comes when people try to compile snapshots. They then believe it's stable (no matter what you say - there's always going to be a handful of people that don't care), run it, corrupt their server and complain.

In the end, I think it's beneficial to open source the build process but I'm not opposed to it remaining closed so long as the project is being maintained. After which point it being open sourced would help the project continue.

3. Who cares? They may even corrupt their server with stable versions.

4. Choco

Stable builds are just that. Stable. The likelihood of them corrupting a server (in comparison to a snapshot, which you know is for what open sourced tooling will be used) is far less than that of an unreleased version. Hell, just this last snapshot there was a server-corrupting and client-crashing issue to do with the new respawn anchor. Additionally, SpigotMC then has to be responsible for supporting those trying to use said updating utilities.

Really, I'm playing devils advocate. I'm all for open sourcing this process, though at the same time I want to bring up reasons which may be why this has not been the case.