Question about Java 16

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by luigi_pants, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knew if it's possible to run Minecraft versions below 1.17 with java 16? I have a private network with different Minecraft versions, but I was looking into updating to Java 16 to support the servers I want to upgrade to 1.17. The last time I tried, I corrupted my files because I was changing the version of Java before setting up a server. With the backups I have on a flash drive, and I upgraded to Java 16, would I be able to run 1.16 servers and lower on the same machine?

This is for Paper and Spigot

2. You could run multiple Java versions, so older servers use Java 8/11 (depending on compatibility) and 1.17+ use Java 16.

3. Would this work for Paper as well?

4. Spigot 1.16 and forks work well with java 16.

5. Yes

6. I've been running 1.16.5 with java16 for a while, it's fine.

7. Okay! What about older versions, such as 1.8 and 1.12.2?

8. The JRE is backward-compatible, so code compiled for Java 8 (older Spigot/Paper versions) should run fine on Java 16. However, you will probably run into problems compiling an older Spigot version with Java 16. Paper distributes built jars so you won't really have to worry about compiling yourself.

9. Alright, thank you!

10. I was scared bcs of 1.17 but yk there are not any problems with Java 16 on older versions