Question regarding migrating to Spigot

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by _Haphaestus_, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Hey Guys,

Please understand that this question is well intended. I am a father and I am wondering what you guys think the longevity of Spigot will be like. I would like my kids and I to be able to play on our server and world for years to come. I could see use playing on it for the next 10 years or longer.

My only concern with migrating to Spigot is two things.

One is somehow not being able to migrate back, or having a subtly or overtly corrupted world database that is hard to fix or unfixable.

Two is losing some sort of performance that vanilla offers that I may not notice such as changes in tick/redstone behavior.

I like the idea of using custom server software. I suspect that minecraft client/server software isn't well optimized. I like the idea of increased performance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 _Haphaestus_, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  2. electronicboy

IRC Staff

CraftBukkit died a few years ago, and spigot took over as the general go-to for a bukkit implementation... Should that happen again, I'd imagine another project would take over the work so long as there is still a reasonable interest in the game.

Spigot also doesn't modify the world data in a way that you couldn't take back to vanilla, just make a note that the server will move the nether and the end worlds of their existing directory structure, you'll possibly wanna make a note of those folder changes in the event you ever wanna go back.

Spigot intends to improve upon performance of vanilla, you're pretty much always going to see a performance improvement using spigot over vanilla (bar hoppers, hoppers are a mess... There are plugins which attempt to help with this outside of improvements of a fork of spigot itself), but there are also the implications that sometimes these improvements might affect some behavior, 99% of people really notice no changes going to spigot, people who are crazy with redstone contraptions might.

3. Hey, what do you mean by this?

4. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Hoppers are known to have performance issues if you have a ton of them in the world

5. Strahan

Benefactor

Bar hoppers; it's when you go with your friends on a pub crawl and go bar to bar to bar :D

OP, it will basically last as long as you can retain your data. Even if Spigot dies, your local instance will be fine as it does not rely on any external servers save the typical Minecraft auth servers - and even that can be disabled. You could fire up a Spigot 1.12.2 server in the year 2350 and play provided you have a copy of 1.12.2 Minecraft and an emulator to run ancient 21st century programs lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Spigot makes some subtle changes in behavior to improve performance. It's really designed for larger servers. For a small server, you don't really needs the changes that Spigot makes.

When you build Spigot, you also get CraftBukkit. CraftBukkit is basically vanilla Minecraft with the means to add plugins. For what you want, CraftBukkit may be a better choice.

At this point, you might as well wait for version 1.13.