Questions about starting a network

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by john01dav, Jun 15, 2014.

1. ..... You need to be a ISP you cannot host your own SMTP server

2. AFAIK, an SMTP server is a program that runs on your computer and receives mail coming through a connection, and makes external connections as needed to send mail.

If someone could clarify exactly how an SMTP server operates, and why it is impossible to host on on a dedi that would be great :). Basically, what is it than an ISP has that I don't have to host an SMTP server.

3. Do research yourself if you can't figure it out just listen if you don't know what you are talking about. Use the google smtp servers

4. I've been doing lots of research, and I can't find anything to suggest that I can't run my own SMTP server off of OVH. Of course, it won't work from a home internet because the IP is blacklisted, but OVH is not home internet so I see no reason why it shouldn’t work.

5. OVH is a ISP they will block it as well

6. They advertise "all ports open", that includes port 25. If I encrypt SMTP traffic with SSL, they cannot see that it is SMTP, hence they cannot block it.

7. All ports open meaning you don't have to port forward OVH blocks certain ports

8. Wow, that's..... insane.....
    When I buy a dedicated server, I should be able to do with it what I want, including SMTP. Also, why do they block SMTP? They already have people's verified identities so I don't get what they are so worried about.

9. Sorry but I don't think you understand the situation at all your argument is invalid you won't get a SMTP server ANYWHERE..

10. Then EVERYONE is false advertising. When I see "all ports open" that implies I can use all of the ips. When I see "dedicated" that implies that I have all of the resources, including the ports, for whatever legal purposes I desire.

Of course it is probably not the legal definition, due to the crazy laws that large corporations make just to get more money, but it is the real definition.

Anyway, enough raging, where can I send emails from my own domain without limits (as many emails as I want at whatever rate I want) without paying extra?

11. It's not... OVH blocks port 25 YOU WILL NOT find a provider which has port 25 open.

12. Then it is false advertising to say "all ports open", and they should not be allowed to so that.

13. Yeah okay you go sue em let's see how it goes..
    Also show me where it says that :)?

14. There is probably some legal loophole they're using, It wouldn’t work if I sued them nor do I have enough money to sue them.

source
    [​IMG]

Anyway, that is a VPS, I can't find it for the DEDIs, but I'd be fine paying the $3 a/mo to just put an SMTP server on a VPS.

15. @john01dav Sorry for going a bit off topic, but I clicked your signature, and saw your website and it says

No money! Donate today!
    We currently are unable to pay the server bills, please donate today to help us stay alive!

Just saying, that is not a good way to make people donate, they will most likely not donate because of this.

16. It's worked before, but I will change it anyway :p.

17. YOU STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND!

EVEN IF YOU DID GET AN SMTP SERVER RUNNING WITHOUT ANY BLOCKED PORTS, IT WOULD NOT BE REACHABLE!
    YOU NEED TO BE AN ISP, HOOKED UP DIRECTLY TO ALL OTHER ISP'S TO MAKE IT GLOBAL.

18. Please no caps, I will try to set up SMTP on the dedi or possibly VPS, but if that does not work I need a public SMTP server that meets these requirments:
    - No cost
    - Unlimited emails (no silly 500 emails per hour thing)
    - Can use my own domain
    - SSL

I'm thinking gmail, but I'm not sure if it allows the no cost part.

19. kill_da_trolls

Supporter

Zoho works perfectly, up to 15 email accounts come free. Using it for my XenForo website.

20. I want to be able to give all of my staff email accounts at my server along with some generic ones such as [email protected], [email protected], etc. This could easily add up to more than 25 (it says 25 are free, not 15, on their website) accounts (I've already got a few pretty good applicants for moderators). Thank's for sharing though!