Quick MOTD Question

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussion' started by saphiria, Jun 12, 2015.

1. saphiria

Artist

Hey,
    Anyone know how many characters are in a MOTD message (the max) so when you set it, what is the max amount of characters there can be?

Thanks,
    Saphiria

2. then, you shouldn't of commented on this thread.

3. Teg

Teg
    Supporter

I don't think the server has a limit, but I'm not sure how the client handles it

Edit: It depends on which characters you use, just like signs and chat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 Teg, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Some info: the motd is a string
    This is the message that is displayed in the server list of the client, below the name.
    • The MOTD does support color and formatting codes.
    • The MOTD supports special characters, such as "♥". However, such characters must be converted to escaped Unicode form. An online converter can be found here
    • If the MOTD is over 59 characters, the server list will likely report a communication error.
    As stated above, MOTD limit is client side and if you use a 1.8/1.7 server and go on like 1.2 the motd will intact not be on two lines rather than a huge spacing and it on one line that keeps going over to the right.

5. saphiria

Artist

Thanks for telling me this... I assumed that.

Thanks! This helped a lot. :)

6. I think it also depends on the fonts used by the texture pack. So you can't be sure any particular string will be displayed on one line.

• Like Like x 1
  7. saphiria

Artist

That brought up a good point. I never thought about that. I just want to know how MinePlex centers theirs perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 1