[Quick Question] Server limit regarding CPU and Ram

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by baguellett, Jul 6, 2013.

1. How many servers or "Instances" of servers do you think I could run on a Intel® Xeon® E3-1240v2 Processor (3.4GHz, 4C/8T, 8M Cache, 69W, Turbo) with 8gbs of ram? I would probably upgrade to 32gbs. Would anyone else know how much power this would cousume? Since I was thinking of collocating it and amps are expensive?

Many thanks

2. joehot200

Supporter

4 servers. You could add more, however it would not increase your player slots/count.

3. I was thinking of having a "Hub" with several game modes, If I was to have 20 people per game mode, could I have more servers?

4. joehot200

Supporter

Yes, you could, however if your server started lagging, you couldn't just make another server (if you already had 4) and expect a performance increase.

Also more servers = more RAM usage.

5. By 4 servers, do you mean for the 8gbs or the 32gbs?

6. joehot200

Supporter

I mean having 4 servers running.

7. No, I mean by 4 servers running on the dedicated server, do you mean only 8bgs of ram can run 4 servers or do you mean 32gbs can only run 4 servers?

8. joehot200

Supporter

It uses more ram. Obviously, more is better. I would recommend 16Gb+ of RAM on your hosting machine for more than 4 servers, however you could manage it with 8.

9. So roughly 8 (small) servers with 8gbs then?

10. joehot200

Supporter

1Gb of RAM per server isnt really recommended, but it could work.

11. You should give your os 2gb's of ram at least for itself and other programs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. joehot200

Supporter

Oops, forgot to mention that :p

13. Well I was considering purchasing a dell poweredge r210 ii with 4gbs and they buy some second hand 32gbs sticks