RAM & PvP servers

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by primaryartemis, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Hello, I was getting ready to set up some PvP servers. The server is going to be broken down into mico servers where each mico server is a single map in a void world and there will only be about 5 plugins to handle the map and sending players back to the HUB. Since it is a void world should I expect to need less RAM per player?

2. joehot200

Supporter

Incorrect, Each player would still use the same RAM.

3. alright, thank you :)
    I've only ever done survival servers and I didn't know if by cutting out all the survival parts of minecraft if the server would need less RAM. Thank you for the clarification

4. joshwenke

Wiki Team

The void maps will help cut down on RAM though ;)

• Informative Informative x 1

5. alright, if in a very simple survival set up I can run 16 people on 1GB of RAM, in a void PvP world would I beable to have more players than 16 or would the RAM savings be too small to have more? I'm just trying to come up with a RAM budget plan basically and am new to PvP servers so sorry for the noobishness :)

6. joehot200

Supporter

I actually dont think it will, i think the server has to remember the chunk is air, just like its grass or dirt, obviously there would be less mobs and tile entities etc, so t could reduce RAM usage there.

Edit: And of course less chunks loaded would be less RAM, so try and get all the players into as small a space as possible.

1GB of RAM got me up to 40 players before lag/crash, yes i am a pvp server, and i had 40+ plugins at the time :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. joshwenke

Wiki Team

Compared to the default generator though, empty maps generate much quicker. And the server can process them quicker. Like if I set /speed to 10 and fly straight on a normal map with 512MB of RAM, then do the same thing on a void map, the normal map causes TPS to reduce and the void map does nothing. Just an observation.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Alright you all are providing great information! This is a ton of help as I am new to both spigot and non survival servers

9. joshwenke

Wiki Team

No problem, let me know if you need any help or have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

• Friendly Friendly x 2