Ramdisk

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by TheProGeek, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Hello,

I wanted to ask if moving my worlds onto a Ramdisk would still improve performance. The main reason I am doing this is we are on a HDD. I have also pre-generated the worlds of my servers so the size is somewhat fixed.
    I am aware of the consiquenses of this so I will be taking backups (hourly: on-site & daily: off-site).
    Any help is appreciated.

2. I would say that Ramdisk just improves your peformance if you have problems with Chunk loading/unloading/saving. For all other things you need mostly a better CPU.

Maybe a timing would help to see that.

3. As long as your bottleneck is due to your hard drive disk, then loading your world onto a ramdisk will help. The difference in performance will vary though. Have you consider SSD's instead? A cheaper alternative and in most cases, is sufficient.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Well, I haven't released the server yet and it's a KS-4. I kinda want to be prepared for the type of advertising I plan to do.

5. To be honest, I don't think you should bother with ramdisks. I would only look into that option after you see what your current hardware can handle and see where the actual bottleneck is. If your current setup can handle what you throw at it perfectly fine, then there's really no need to introduce more variables and more risk into your setup (as I'm sure you are aware of the risks of ramdisks).

For most servers, even the big ones, SSDs are more than enough. In most cases, servers often run into lag issues due to their CPU before their read/write limits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. As someone who used a ramdisk on a production server for 12 months, if you have to ask how to do it, no probably not. It's simply too easy to get wrong. Ram disks do offer huge performance increases and the like, however it is not something I'd recommend someone who doesn't have an sys background to attempt to use.

7. Alright thanks for your time!