Rate My PC

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glitchmaster0001, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2670 Octa Core 2.6GHz (2 Processors) 16 cores 32 threads total
    GPU: MSI GTX 980ti 6GB (upgrading to 1080 later)
    RAM: 64GB DDR3 1866MHz ECC Registered Memory
    Storage: 2 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSDs, 3 WD Red 3TB HDDs
    Motherboard: Supermicro X9DRL-IF-O
    Power Supply: Corsair RM1000i
    Cooling: 2 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    Case: NZXT Tempest Evo

2. Picture pls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Your RAM will downclock to 1600 MHz, making that a bit of a waste of money.

4. not really since the ram only costed me $100 for 64GB

5. That's some cheap RAM.

Because everywhere else it's $450+... Sketchy, very sketchy.

6. Pics or it didn't happen.

7. Why are you using a server CPU?

• Like Like x 1
  8. $1.5k processor
    $900 GPU
    $400 SSD
    $500 Mother board
    $80 for Coolers (WAIT, WHAT?!?!?!?)
    $90 Case
    $180 OS
    Apparently the 64 GB EEC RAM only cost $100... That's $480 on Newegg.
    $100 RAM

Let's total this so far:
    $2850 at minimal cost...

If you do the NewEgg RAM cost it'll be:
    $3230

This is something I want photos of or it never happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. proof with timestamp or gtfo

10. Really sad.
    On the slim chance this is actually real, this is a stellar example of someone with no idea how computers actually work, or what they really need.
    Also rofl @ xeon in a desktop..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. It's terrible! So bad, you mays well just give it away... to me...

12. go on ebay and search 64GB DDR3 ECC and watch how you will be surprised how cheap it is

13. That's nice, anyone could do that but it still doesn't prove you have it. Picture or gtfo.

14. funny how you dont know how to do your homework... Xeons are great chips since after Facebook decommissioned a lot of their sandy bridge EP servers for the newer haswell EP or broadwell EP servers since both haswell and broadwell kill sandy bridge in terms of energy efficiency, so that means there is a shitton of sandy bridge xeon chips on the cheap in ebay since they are just flooding the market right now. you can buy 2 Xeon E5 2670s for just $120. the only downside is the motherboard can get pretty expensive but i got lucky and got as good deal on a dual socket board on craigslist. the reason why i built this computer is for workstation and productivity. not for minecraft...

15. Just post a god damn picture. Stop trying to avoid it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Relinquished

Benefactor

This is correct actually.

64 gigs of DDR3 ECC can be gotten for pretty cheap on ebay (the 1866hz is sketchy though...usually the cheap stuff is 1333-1600hz...), and these processors have been used for years 24/7, so you can find them very cheap on ebay too.

Xeons are also fine for desktops. A 1270v3 is basically the same as a 4770 with no integrated graphics, and a lower clock. Obviously this xeon isn't a straight forward example like the previous, but it's still a great processor.

Examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CM806210108...37QAAOSwtJZXUImy&_trksid=p2349526.m3874.l7936

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64GB-8X8GB-DDR3-PC3-10600-ECC-REG-240-PIN-1333MHZ-/350424608534

Pics would be nice though OP...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. not really just buy used ram on ebay. thats how i kept the cost down on this PC. i went with used parts for the platform which includes motherboard, CPUs, and RAM

18. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. i actually have the LGA 2011 version on the chip. its not the V3 as that is expensive as heck for just a single CPU. i rechecked the ram i got on ebay in the bios and CPUz, it turned out the seller sold me 1600MHz ECC Registed RDIMMs. oh well i dont want to open a dispute because of the hassle. but $100 is the ballpark for 64GB of DDR3 1600MHz ECC Registered RDIMMs so i didnt really lose anything.

20. So instead of building a top-quality new, custom PC for 10% of the price, you get cheap, probably low-quality used parts that are going to have reduced performance and probably break in a couple years, probably exacerbated by being power-starved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.