Re-vamping dedicated server, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by Kainzo, May 29, 2013.

1. I have my main server machine coming back for repairs, so I wanted to take this time to upgrade/fix things that I did wrong. It's a learning process largely but wanted to get insight from others who may have been through the same thing.

I'm wanting to go down to a 1U-2U chassis and get rid of the $500 raid card.

My thoughts are to get 2-4 SSD's and raid them in raid0. I'm thinking about picking up a better motherboard as well with an LGA 2011 socket (know of any?)

Does anyone have any really good SSDs or 1U or 2U chassis' that they swear by? :)

1 x Antec 4U22EPS650 4U Rackmount Server Case
    1 x Intel RAID SATA 8 internal port w/ 256MB cache memory PCI-E 2.0 x8 Controller Card (RT3WB080)
    1 x ZOTAC ZT-20313-10L GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
    1 x Intel EXPI9402PTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Two Gigabit Copper Server Connections - OEM
    1 x ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    1 x Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor ...
    4 x Western Digital WD RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Enterprise Hard Drive

#1 Kainzo, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. vemacs

Artist

Why do you need a graphics card?

3. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

No solid state? :eek:

He does colocation, and the mobo doesn't bring integrated.
    So I can only assume when he goes on site he needs a way to see what is going on. ;)

4. Didn't have integrated graphics, was the only option.

We had a solid state in there but it felt like a good idea not to get a new one. I'm going for solid state now. We're on a temp machine that we purchased - so we have some time to fix this one up.

5. Bitcoin mining.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. vemacs

Artist

Might as well use the CPU instead of that 210 :p

7. If you're going to *coin mine you want AMD over Nvidia .. 4-5 times the benches for mining.

8. For the HDD's, here's my take on it; stay with the 4U case, keep the raid card. Set all 4 drives up in RAID10 if the card supports it (mirrored striping), otherwise RAID5 - OS, server files, logs, home directories, web server stuff, etc. goes on there.

Then add 4 x 250Gb SSD drives (or 120Gb), set those up on the RAID card as well in RAID5; store your worlds on there.

9. Raid 4 case really isnt an option ... the current datacenter charges by the U ... so 1-2U are grouped together. It may be possible to fit all 4 in a 2U .. but it may get cramped.

10. Thing is, you want a few normal drives in the system. Having exclusively SSD drives is considered "a bad thing" due to the fact those things do have a lifetime measured in reads and writes. You want some regular HDDs for the OS, log files, and all the usual management stuff (and if you have that hardware raid card... even MySQL), and the SSD purely for worlds.

Anyway, check http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/2U/?chs=825 - It's 2U and comes with 8 front slots for drives (the 3.something inch variety). You'd lose the RAID card but... yeah. Should fit 4 x 1TB + 4 x SSD. Back when I worked for a webhost we had a ton of these things (well, the older variety) hanging around, and the quality is excellent for a decent price.

11. Yeah, right now in our temp server. We have the SSD managing the OS / MC folder and the 2TB for backups.

I dont really see a large issue with the SSD holding the OS - I do it for my home machine, as long as you have a good backup it's not really that bad off. SSD life has increased drastically since the inception.

12. Kainzo, true, it's not a super big issue but it's a bit of a "best practices" kind of thing. It also means that your SSD's only contain world data, which makes it easier to swap them to different machines if the need arises, and more free space :)

13. Sigh. I feel ashamed. I read the title as "Vampire dedicated server".