Ready2Frag? Dedicated Server - I7-6700K

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by Fluxty, May 21, 2016.

1. Has anybody used Ready2Frag's dedicated servers? What's the catch? The I7-6700K feels like a really good server. I was wondering if there are any hidden limitations and how the support is compared to more infamous providers like OVH.

I plan to host a Minecraft server and website from a high-end dedicated server. My SSH skills are very limited so I would prefer to install CPanel and/or Multicraft (without using their setup option that adds to the monthly price).

Would just like to hear others' experiences with this company.

#1 Fluxty, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

You would probably have a more seamless experience with a more automated host like OVH, plus the DDoS mitigation has much more capacity. If you aren't good at Linux then yeah, go for them probably, because cheap prices don't come with "let us setup everything for you" support.

Oddly enough I had someone a day or two ago message me with something negative about R2F, but who knows, I didn't ask for the story.. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

In real world performance, it's the best available for Minecraft today.

4. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Any established company will have bad reviews here and there as you get a mix of customers that you simply can't please, have no idea what they're doing, or walk in expecting a completely different product/service than they purchased. The younger community tends to have more of those that are in way over their head, so take the reviews with a grain of salt.

5. JamesJ

Supporter

Not sure on their pricing, however look at Choopa.
    They can match OVH's MC-32 with an i7 6700k (10TB BW, etc) and you get a much better network and support.
    There is nothing bad I can say about Choopa.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you guys for the wonderful feedback. :) I'm looking over Choopa now as well.

7. Actually the more I think about it the less I need Multicraft. While I'm not very knowledgeable with the Linux command line it seems to me that setting up the server is really the most you'll ever need it. From there it just seems like a small learning curve, right? I can just SFTP with Filezilla and manage the server from the console.

8. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Yes, if you're able to actually Google simple things like "how to use screen" or "how to install java on <operating system>" then you'll do fine. Most people that don't want to wander from Multicraft or other panels generally don't want to take the effort to find solutions to problems... Managing everything over SSH is very easy once you play around with things.

9. I agrees for the most part but there are valid reasons why one may "stick" with shared hosting/managed. They mainly looking for stability and an interrupted run.

REAL Linux administration takes one multiple years to "master" and with IT always changing (no surprise there) these people ALWAYS have to keep on top of things.

For personal usages there is not a large worry to "learn as you go" and actually it the one of the best ways to do it. Because it exposes the person to real world circumstances. I would just advise the person to bear in mind that he/she may not get optimum system up time and thus may comprise the personal project(s).

Another option is to check out with a shared/managed plan and then source a "junk" VPS to practice on. Then once you outgrow shared hosting/managed plan you can then more "safety" shift gears. Provided you were dedicated into learning the ins and outs of administrating the system.

That just my "2 cents" on this subject.

10. Could you give me an example of a problem that could only be solved from the command line rather than within my SFTP client? I've been using FTP and the Minecraft console for years, it's only SSH that I've barely gotten my feet in.

11. The main things you will need to do via SSH is securing the system and repairing the system should/when it gets hacked. Other items include when a service needs a restart/reconfiguration and regular checkups on the system. You will also want to get used to rescue systems in case the VPS/dedi crop up with more serve issues (when you can't get to the OS installed on the system).

So in the end you do really need to get "hands dirty" and why some people prefer to forget the work and pay the extra costs for the company/freelancer to do it instead (on top of the sheer experiences they often hold) .

12. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Unfortunately the biggest issue is none of them Google "how to secure <operating system>" until their server gets hacked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1