Recent API breakages

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md_5

Administrator Developer

These changes only affect development builds. Spigot build 249 is based on the latest CraftBukkit Beta and as such is the build which should be used.
    Plugins will update and these changes will be better for everyone in the long run.

Sorry guys, but I need to do this too keep myself sane, and to stop you from spamming the forums.
    Over the last few builds there have been at least three breakages in the Bukkit API. These breakages are controlled completely by Bukkit, so there is nothing we can do about it. Your best defence is to update your plugins or downgrade to a build prior to the 1st of December 2012.

The first change which can be found at: https://github.com/Bukkit/Bukkit/commit/49690f9620b7ed1ed9769cec35d095a3cac33ab0
    Details with the changing of the BlockFace / Direction enum. The fact that these directions, well point to the wrong directions, has been a common law feature pretty much since Bukkits inception. You may experience symptoms of this breakage if stuff is rotated oddly, or shop signs, and Lockette / Deadbolt locks do not function.
    All plugins known to be affected by this breakage have updated.

The second change is affecting the most users, found at https://github.com/Bukkit/Bukkit/commit/e468a8b391336f292d3642ffa4c45b4600e91b64:
    This change alters the return type of the EntityBlockChange event. Any plugin using this simply needs a recompile. There are only about 60 plugins which will be affected by this change.
    You can be reasonably sure any block logging plugin will be broken, as well as any protection plugin (WorldGuard)
    The error will look something like: Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.bukkit.event.entity.EntityChangeBlockEvent.getEntity()Lorg/bukkit/entity/LivingEntity;

The third change: https://github.com/Bukkit/CraftBukkit/commit/8f12382e8efc8c39a919af9180dd884caf3720ff
    Only affects plugins which have been bad, and bypassed the Bukkit API. This represents approximately 1 in 11 plugins, so you can be reasonably sure 1 or 2 of your plugins have broken.

So I again ask you to kindly remind your friendly plugin authors to update their plugins, and keep both these forums, the Bukkit forums, and issue trackers clean of these useless help requests.

#1 md_5, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. PhanaticD

Patron

3. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

So far only noticeable plugins of the 26 I use is WorldGuard and War are broken.

Beat me to it, I was just typing the same thing. :p
    I thought I had done something till I noticed the commit, been looking for an alternative, or the source for a possible update.

4. PhanaticD

Patron

pretty sure their source is on github

PS, thanks for the changes to reduce lag md_5 I now have 15-18 ticks per second with 100 people on compared to 3 tps I was previously getting

5. Puremin0rez

=.= Performance was just getting better then suddenly BREAKING everywhere by Bukkit!

6. PhanaticD

Patron

use build 298, its good with performance and the breakages arent in it yet

7. Puremin0rez

That's what I'm on, but villagers despawn with that build so now I have unhappy players :(

8. PhanaticD

Patron

oh, I use the shopkeepers plugin, which will respawn them if they die

9. I'm using 298 and experiencing the EntityBlockChange event problem with Towny. Just FYI.

10. PhanaticD

Patron

well comparatively, 299 about 6+ of mine including nocheat and permissions dont even start up

11. Puremin0rez

I just pulled in all of the changes locally and removed the huge breaking one and now i'm all good again :p

12. Fix NoCheatPlus...

13. Puremin0rez

Explain the parts of the plugin that no longer function, I can try to get something working possibly. I want to know the intended behavior if possible please.

14. We wont update NoCheatPlus for now because it would break servers that use the Craftbukkit R0.2 beta (2488) so we will update when the next R0.3 beta comes out until then we recommend everyone to use CB 2511 or lower (or spigot without those API changes).
    So don't ask us to update for this development build ;P
    More info's here:
    http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/nocheatplus/#c3267
    http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/nocheatplus/tickets/348-latest-bukkit-is-breaking-stuff/

Edit: @asofold updated! https://github.com/NoCheatPlus/NoCheatPlus/downloads

#14 MyPictures, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  15. Anyone want to compile a build without the breaking commit? I'm too lazy :D

16. PhanaticD

Patron

Most noticeable is the gat orentation. Warhub gets oriented to the left of where it first was, and all the gates for each game the ground is to the side while the sign and obsidian portal are still in the right spot, i can install a updated craftbukkit again and take screenshots if u need them

17. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

Also the team signs with the lives/points is facing the wrong way.

This change broke my spawn and 2 of my Minigames cause it cut through it.
    Had to remove the plugin and redo my spawn wall. :mad:

18. So, wich build with async chunk loading it's working correctly? Without the changes to the api and without despawning villagers...

Puremin0rez Do you have a github repo of the modified version?

19. Bestle

Patron

20. Puremin0rez

It's all done locally and I'm not sure if posting modified builds is allowed (at least it wasn't on bukkit forums)

I'll send you it later when I get a chance via PM. It has all changes up to the time of this post MINUS the large NMS change - which means yes, it has the villager fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.