[Resolved - Craftbook's snow mechanic did it.] Low TPS on high end hardware.

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Lue, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lue

Hello, um. Yesterday, I randomly created a server at the request of a few individuals in a No Man's Sky community, so they could play together. Initially, everything was running great. However... as time went by, the TPS would slowly drop to 10 and below. At the same time, the server would also slowly start creeping upwards on its ram usage. I'm not entirely certain if the two are related, or simply coincidental.

This TPS deterioration occurs extremely slowly if I'm the only one on. However, it happens much more quickly, the more people login. For example, I've been sitting here watching the TPS slowly degrade from 20, to 16 over the course of an hour or so. Yet, when two or more players are on, the TPS plummets to below 10 after only twenty minutes.

When this low TPS occurs, mobs tend to have sluggish, jerky movement and players have heavy blocklag. This essentially causes the game to be entirely unplayable.

So, here's all the info; specs first:
    • i7-7700k @5.0GHz
    • GTX 1080 Ti
    • 32GB DDR4 @2667MHz
    • 256GB NVMe SSD
    • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
    Plugins; only 12:
    • Pex (Build 148, from the creator's Jenkins)
    • WorldEdit (v6.1.7.3 - "bukkit")
    • mcMMO (v1.5.09)
    • Essentials 2.x (Build 25, from Spigot Jenkins)
      • ^ Spawn and chat, also from the same build.
    • No Attack Cooldown (v1.2)
    • MultiVerse (v2.5)
    • WorldGuard (v6.2.1)
    • Mythic Drops (v4.1.2)
    • CraftBook (v3.9u21)
    • Holograms (v2.5.0)
    Here's the 'run.bat' line:
    Code (Text):
    @echo off
    java -Xmx4G -jar spigot-1.12.2.jar nogui
    I'd like to mention that I tried multiple different arguments here. This was simply the latest one I settled on; which was to no avail. Previous iterations used a garbage collector, and different sizes of xms, and xmx. It seems removing the xms bit had no effect, so I'm not entirely sure if I should bother putting it back lol. The original line was this:
    Code (Text):
    @echo off
    java -Xms2048M -Xmx8192M -jar spigot-1.12.2.jar nogui
    Here's the server.properties file: https://pastebin.com/hXa0hg71
    Here's the spigot.yml file: https://pastebin.com/RbjHMxEA
    Here's the bukkit.yml file: https://pastebin.com/zu4uF4Fb
    Here's the timings link: https://timings.spigotmc.org/?url=yocikumare

According to the timings link, the plugins and server tick are the main issues. However, I'd like to imagine that my hardware is more than capable of running what I listed above. Whilst having it running, all of my hardware is well below 50% usage. Here's proof:

Is there anything I can do? I'd really appreciate some help on this baffling matter. >.<
    #1 Lue, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  2. Are they using worldedit to select, copy paste things?
  3. I know this doesn't help but I honestly don't believe Windows Desktop is the right OS for a Spigot server. Have you considered a dual boot into Ubuntu server?
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Lue

Nope, almost all block placement is done by hand. The only world edit that occured, was during the creation of the spawn. Which in itself, was quite minimal. This was also done yesterday, whereas the current timings file was created after a reboot today. This file shows the TPS at 3.

Thank you, but no lol. I've never had any issues hosting on Windows before. This is the first time I've ever encountered this strange TPS issue.
  5. Phoenix616

Resource Staff

I mean the timings pretty clearly show that CraftBook's Snow mechanic is causing a lot of lag...
  6. Craftbook is doing something wrong in a Task called SnowHandler (So something related to snow). There is any feature you can disable about snow? (Personally don't know the plugin)
  7. Just putting this out there: I actually have a similar issue (kinda) on my Windows machine. Is that Windows server or just a Windows desktop edition (Win 10)? So the issue I have on my PC is that, for some reason, Windows likes to freeze the Java (spigot) process sometimes when its minimized. I then open it again, just click it a few times, maybe type something in the process (console) and then it catches up again. Just something I have on my own PC that you might also have. No idea what causes it and why Windows thinks its a good idea to freeze a process like that.

None the less;
    You should really look into hosting on Linux. It's simply far more superior.

Other than that, you could try contacting the author of the plugin causing the most lag as mentioned above (CraftBook).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Well, a Desktop, is what it is.
  9. Lue

Eh, I saw that but didn't really think much of it since it has functioned perfectly fine with the exact same config on previous servers. All I did was copy-paste it. That said, no one really requested CraftBook. It was an addition added by me, so I'll just remove it and see if it magically fixes the issue. Can't hurt to try. >.>

It's a desktop PC. Um, yeah it hasn't ever frozen or stalled or anything like that. Just the gradual decrease in TPS, as I described above. This is the first time such a thing has ever occured to me on any version of Windows, whilst hosting MineCraft. It usually runs flawlessly.

Honestly, I really don't like Linux lol. I appreciate that people think it's so much better than Windows, but we all have our preferences.

Thank you all for your replies. I'll get back to you, once I see if removing CraftBook did the trick.
  10. What use is using your home system for a 24/7 server if you have to dual boot into linux server, and then can't use your system for everything else.

if this is just for a couple of friends, this is just fine. Especially with those specs.

Upstream connection is important though. Broadband internet with low latency really helps. Have a wired connection, don't depend on good wifi signal.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lue

Okay, removing CraftBook has resolved the issue. I'm honestly shocked, lol. Thank you all for your help. =)

Although... Does anyone know why that snow mechanic would decide to cease functioning this time, despite working perfectly elsewhere? I'd genuinely like to know, out of curiosity. It's just really weird.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I totally agree, but even Ubuntu desktop makes for a better Server and doesn't sacrifice anything. I personally use a Cloud Server that only charges me when the machine is running just for this type of setup. I think its like 40 cents per hour of server running and when server is stopped, no charge, and it doesn't lag your MC Client or Steam Client either.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.