Resource buyer requesting personal information?

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by clip, Jun 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clip

Benefactor

So I i have had thousands of people purchase my resources here on Spigor but today for the first time I had a buyer pm me stating that they need me to provide tons of personal information such as my legal name, address, etc. I am not that sure if I want to provide my personal information to them because for all I know they could just want it for malicious purposes. They state that they live in Belgium and this information is needed for a purchase made by a business. I just feel weird about the situation and not sure if this is something i need to provide as it has never happened before. Thoughts?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. My thoughts are bull Sh*t they don't need information

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Inkzzz

Resource Staff

Simply, no. I'd strongly advise you not to give out any personal information without a disclosed contract. The company wouldn't need your personal details in order to take the amount purchased of their tax bill at the end of the year - All they need is perhaps your name, or your company go-by name i.e. "clip", and e-mail. Regardless, I'd advise finding out what company they work for, or own: no company of a large magnitude will private message you on the forums; they'd work via e-mails, they'll have a phone number to call, and therefore I would advise you not to give out information.

To add, you have some resources with thousands of downloads, some premium, other free, and therefore someone who wants to leak information or perhaps execute malicious activity would target someone who looks to have a highly strong financial background.

#3 Inkzzz, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. clip

Benefactor

Yeah, it definitely threw a red flag for me and I figured asking the community would be best. I was unsure if this was information that i may be required to provide although it is the first time information like this has been requested.

Should I tag the person requesting the info so they can eplain why publicly?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes, get it public.

If it's scamming then it's public. If he is legit he will let us know, still a weird story.

6. Inkzzz

Resource Staff

That would be good to know. If they turn out to be reliable and legal, then there company won't be knocked, however, if they aren't, then it would be good to let the community know of these events.

7. Inkzzz

Resource Staff

The user only having one post doesn't look good straight away.

@bebosny, if you could explain clearly why you needed information off @clip, then that would be absolutely fantastic!

8. User is Owner on Minecraft Market;
    [​IMG]

9. Inkzzz

Resource Staff

Not necessarily - could be an impersonator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Correct but still...

11. What?

12. He meant he thinks its unlikely that @bebosny is an impersonator. I would be skeptical with the low amount of activity on his Spigot account but yet again, the owner of MCM would probably be busy with his own site.

13. clip

Benefactor

Still no reply from him though.

14. Oh right - thanks for the clarification :D

15. BeBosny is actually pretty reputable, and that is his spigot account so it's not an impersonator. Just trust him

16. clip

Benefactor

Just trust him?

I could care less how reputable he is to you, still not comfortable giving my home address and other info out to some random person.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. I think it's because he owns/runs the company that he may need you to invoice him, or provide a VAT ID. tbh idfk.

18. MiniDigger

Supporter

well, even if he was to buy all resources clip offers, its still below 50$... why would anyone care?

19. clip

Benefactor

Any of my plugins are $10 or less. I dont think providing personal information is necessary. For all I know he could pizza bomb me or just be trying to get my info to dox me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.