Resource Images

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by WAS, Apr 26, 2017.

1. WAS

WAS

2. WAS

WAS

3. md_5

Administrator Developer

Your image is too large.
    You can't embed a 6mb gif.

4. WAS

WAS

But why not? Its remote? Doesnt effect your bandwidth unless you are for some reason caching remote content.

This is 2017. Lol even on 1 bar throttled 4g at 0.98-2mbps at 50 miles from town I can upload and download the image i less than 30 seconds

#5 WAS, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Just downscale the resolution of the image and you'll be fine.

6. WAS

WAS

Thats bs. Already did. Might as well just leave a direct link. As noted. In my update this is 2017. Even on my 1 bar throttled 4g i have no issues with even gyphys movie scenes lol

7. MiniDigger

Supporter

this is 2017. there are still ppl with less than 1gb volume in developed states. don't even get me started on the third world or australia :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/featherboard.2691/

There's an example of working gifs on a resource page.

9. I'm Australian with a speed of 2mb/s down and 1mb/s up. ;)

10. md_5

Administrator Developer

We are (although bandwidth isn't an issue), but we don't want 25mb pages.

Use a still image + youtube video, this gif all the things trend is annoying lol

11. WAS

WAS

Trend? Uhmm. GIFs have been around for decades. Far better than compiling a video and uploading to youtube. Far easier too.

12. WAS

WAS

Than they do not belong on this website. Simple as that. This is for a online Minecraft server which will suck that GB dry in a hour or little more. I use GBs a day just browsing. If they are viewing and downloading resources on their limited bandwidth on their phone thats certainly their personal issue and decision.

Again I am on this shitty internet you speak of to begin with. If peoples internet is that bad they shouldnt even be browsing with images on. Lol average image is 500kb-1mb these days. Thats a single image.

And where is it normal to be supporting "third world" countries over the majority. Lol regardless of where the owner is located.

#13 WAS, Apr 26, 2017
  13. MiniDigger

Supporter

images != 6mb gifs
    I am limited to 1gb as well btw. (well, you could consider germany a third world country in terms of internet...)
    this is for mobile of course.

14. WAS

WAS

Which is irrelevant. You wouldnt be browsing and downloading resources on your phone. And if you are, thats your issue.

I literally do not understand how you all would even survive pre-broadband let alone pre-dsl. Waiting ten minutes for a gif used to be normal. Lol

15. MiniDigger

Supporter

browsing != downloading.....
    there is a limit, it will not go away, accept that.

16. WAS

WAS

Are you daft? Browsing is downloading. Everything you view is cached on your machine or destroyed immediately on your machine. How do you think anything is displayed in your browser. Holy hell Day Developer.

Doesn't mean I can't still complain that it's a incredibly snotty limit.

It's ok to link a video which is astronomically larger (Even the player is about a MB plus if you pre-cache youtube embedded videos), but a GIF? Oh no. Or learn to disable GIF animation, and downloading, without having being clicked to play like any modern website. You used the old web firm I used to work for; Audentio about 10 years ago, Magik can do it for a couple bucks. See a lot of lazy development (or completely void there-of) here for the excuse to discipline/scald users instead of just fixing the bugs / issues.

#17 WAS, Apr 26, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. MiniDigger

Supporter

I feel like you don't want to understand me.
    you said 'You wouldnt be browsing and downloading resources on your phone.' I replied to that with 'browsing != downloading.....'
    and meant by that that there is a difference between browsing thru the resource section and downloading resources.

the youtube embed player takes up around 500kb last time I checked. it will only load more if you press something. you want to force the user to download 6mb, without clicking something.

I really don't feel a need to continue this discussion if all you do is trying to insult me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. WAS

WAS

And by doing so you are encountering tons of peoples PNG images, high quality JPEGs, videos, etc. Thus a bad idea to begin with.

In fact a single video embedded can be LARGER than my GIF (With not a single thing on the page but the embed). 7.48MB and if you pre-cache... the player itself is about 1mb. in total the page is 1.96MB (tons of API calls ontop of the player)

In general just a embedded player has more of a strain on a bad internet connection because of hundreds and hundred of simultaneous API and resource calls (any of which can hang and timeout) compared to a single connection to a GIF image (which can easily be not replaced with a static frame until clicked)

[​IMG]
    Code (HTML5):

”."><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Nxc-3WpMbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Pile that up with any average popular resource page with 5+ videos and 15+ PNG images + screenshots lol

#19 WAS, Apr 26, 2017
  19. The thing is that I have to click at videos to load them, while gifs are downloaded automatically...
    I am limited to 200 MB / month. It's usually sufficient because I can use university WiFi in most of the downtown area and my own at home. However, if I happen to go anywhere else, I wouldn't want SpigotMC to suck a quarter of my limit just because of one resource page.

• Like Like x 2