1. Guest, as per the stickied thread, this forum has not been in use since 2014. All bugs and feature requests should be posted to JIRA.

Revert Bukkit refactoring.

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feature Requests' started by archlinux, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Hi,

I'd like to resquest Spigot to REVERT the changes done by the Bukkit refactoring as it will break plugins on a time-to-time basis.

This "refactoring" is pretty dumb, and the marjority of well know/skilled plugin developers think the same and they have some very solid argumentation that you could read here:

https://github.com/Bukkit/CraftBukkit/commit/8f12382e8efc8c39a919af9180dd884caf3720ff

Please Spigot, do not support such DUMB bukkit mistakes.

2. Puremin0rez

I know... I had to FORK spigot already and remove it lmao.

Actual question though: If the commit gets reversed, does this mean any plugins that use the new mc version packaging (Which i don't know of many right now since nobody knows if this god awful change will stay) will not work with the older pom etc? Might be a dumb question, but I'm just wondering - if not, can it be possible to make it work with both NMS and NMS-version'd?

3. I think NMS-version based plugins won't work with the former NMS method. I'm not sure.

BTW: Can I have a link to your fork ?

4. md_5

Administrator Developer

Not happening at this point in time, sorry.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Nope. Not even close. A vocal minority and several people who admit in their posts they don't actually know what's going on.

Don't get sucked into the hype. The refactor is a brilliant commit.

For more information check out EvilSeph's reply here: https://github.com/Bukkit/CraftBukk...919af9180dd884caf3720ff#commitcomment-2277397

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. If by 'brilliant' you mean it's a hacky solution to a terrible situation which should not be occurring in the first place, you are correct.

Also, nitpick, it's not a refactor. From Wikipedia (because that was the first definition off of Google):
    , and there ain't no way you can successfully argue this isn't changing its external behavior.

7. I don't give a shit to the "hype" - The only thing that matters for me (and I'm sure for most of server admins) is that half of my plugins are now ""broken"" due to this commit.

I'm sure bukkit will start to worry only when a dozen of FORKS starts to appear on the scene :p

I'm already using Puremin0rez fork BTW :)

#9 archlinux, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. archlinux Why are you immediately updating your server to the latest dev build? Wait until the next beta or rb before getting concerned about your plugins being updated or not.

9. mbaxter wtf? 99,9% of the folks running Spigot, run on top of dev builds and are often running test/experimental builds on their servers.

We do that because we constantly seek for a miracle that will improve performance.

Many of us also do this to speed/improve Spigot development (with our feedback). BTW: This is just one of the side effects of the "refactoring" - it *WILL* slow down all the testing/debugging of newer builds on production (..REAL) scenarios.

We're a "small" community and I would really appreciate if we could AT LEAST have a choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. md_5

Administrator Developer

I'm sorry, but once again, my position on this change is clear. It will not be reverted.
    Build #249 is based off the latest CraftBukkit beta, and builds up to ~289 should work.

11. Running a dev build, seeking a miracle? Development builds are risky. Development builds represent active development. Running a dev build purely for miracle seeking is simply negligent administration and any issues that occur while running a dev build are entirely your fault.

Expecting all plugins to function up to the latest dev build is unreasonable and demonstrates a misguided understanding of software development.

Your choice is as follows:
    1) Use dev builds, and deal with plugins not always being up to date.
    2) Use beta or recommended builds.

That has always been your choice. That continues to be your choice. Framing it otherwise is misleading. If spigot existed when 1.1-R4 (or was it R5?) removed the deprecated events system and broke tons of plugins, would you have insisted spigot maintain the deprecated events system so as to not break the huge pile of plugins that were broken by the removal? Do not demand sacrifice of long term progress and development in favor of short term benefit for reckless server administrators. I will not tolerate such a position.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. PhanaticD

Patron

I use dev builds because of the changes like the map item frame nerf, and if i didnt my tick rate would be at 3 instead of 18 :(

the commit that breaks everything is just a pain in the rear, im also using pureminorez build (thanks again)

i wonder if the people coding the craftbukkit/spigot actually have servers with lots of people playing, because it seems like its admins vs devs

13. Many members of the bukkit staff maintain their own servers, and many of us maintain active contact with admins of large servers. We're not out of touch in any way.

14. PhanaticD

Patron

alright, personally I dont mind the commit as long as the shopkeepers plugin gets updated! thats the only one im waiting for then I can use NMS changed builds

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Bestle

Patron

This commit didn't cause me any trouble at all.

Took under an hour to update the plugins that were broken and now all is well :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Yeah finished updating PTweaks last night too.
    I was kind of pissed about it at first, i still don't like that i will have
    to put out an update for every bukkit update even if its not broken though.

Oh well.

17. haha literally just adding v1_4_5 to all the broken imports for me XD

18. Haha me too xD