RPG System?!

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by VinceGhi, Jun 9, 2017.

?

Is it good to start big projects without enough experience?

1. Yes.

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No.

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Hey guys. :)

I love RPGs. I love leveling my character, leveling my skills, gathering resources for new items or killing rare mobs for special items, trading ... all the stuff.

I also love Minecraft so i thought that i could create a plugin that transforms Minecraft to a mmorpg game.
    It would take a while... ok.. it would take long, but is it worth it? Is anybody interested in a server like that?

I am not bad at programming but i have to learn a lot more and that would be a extremly good exercise because i have to learn more and more to be able to programm a plugin like that.

So ahm... my final question... is it worth it to program a large plugin in which i know exactly that i don't even know half the stuff that i need?

2. I'd say go for it. It will most likely end up being broken and unusable, but that's part of learning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Mas

Mas

Is it worth it?
    Probably not. You'll end up getting frustrated and not being able to do most of the things you want. It's much better to build up your skills to the point where you have an idea of how you're going to complete everything.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I would say NO. Better learn it more so you can make a good plugin and not a "maybe" working plugin but its very bad coded or just skided (bugs, lags etc)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Well... i already made a Skill-System that worked and it was efficient. I have to say that i know Java pretty good but the Bukkit/Spigot API is am... how can i say that.... tricky.. in my eyes.

6. In my opinion, trying to do something new to you (even if you fail) is the best way to learn something but if you want your code to be usable at the end (I learned by trying to code new things that I didn't know how to do but that ended up in a lot of things being done in inefficient and clunky ways) I recommend creating small pieces of code that you know do/don't work that you can refine multiple times until you figure the best way to do that thing so when you finish, your plugin will work efficiently and smoothly!

• Useful Useful x 1