Running a home hosted server in a VPN?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by Gimmes, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Is it possible to run a home hosted server in a VPN, if yes, what VPN websites can you advise me,
    I would like to have:

- DDoS protection (15GB/s is ok I think?)
    - Unlimited Traffic (or something like 1 or 2 TB)
    - Dedicated IP (otherwise I can't run my servers)
    - Do I need more?

And I wish to have this as cheap as possible, (I would like to have a 1 or half a year contract to make it cheaper, thanks)

Bye and thank you!

2. inb4
    "HOME HOSTING IS NOT RECOMMENDEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD"

3. I know, but we got a place for it, and my upload is fast enough :p, also it saves us $140 a month, because it is an Dell Poweredge 2950

4. Anybody tried this before?

5. Sent you a PM. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. EarthVPN is pretty dope.

7. How would you connect to your server through the VPN? I'm not sure if it would work through a public VPN service. You might be able to connect through a VPN if you set up your own on a VPS or similar, but if you do that you might as well use BungeeCord on the VPS in the first place (or something like a gre tunnel could work)

8. It's the same as an normal hosted server? But just with another IP

9. I am talking about OpenVPN, like an program :p

10. BuyVM.net

They have turnkey so you can install OpenVPN as the base OS. They offer DDoS prot. too.

Like $10/mo (or less) will do what you need (and more)!

11. Took a look, seems nice, not sure if it is an dedicated IP tough

12. It is, sorry, forgot to add that :p

13. Do they or don't they?

14. If you really want this, just get the ovh vps classic 1. And route the traffic thru it

And just enable perm mitigation so theirs no ddos protection down minutes, when it switches to mitigation.

15. Yup, and DDoS filtering is like $4 Extra bandwidth (per TB) is like $2.50 or something

16. wat?

17. Whats not to understand ?

18. Yeah thanks :D

19. What is that enable perm? and when it switches to mitigation.