Running a server within Eclipse/Intellij

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Exellanix, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but, me and a friend have been talking about running a minecraft server when you run the program in Eclipse/Intellij then running minecraft and creating a random player then having that player join the server to be able to test plugin(s), you can configure what plugins you want on the server, this would be a one time server and it would get deleted afterwards. Is this even possible? If it is I would like and idea about how to do it. I realize this might be a really complicated task, but I want to try it because I think this would be really useful.

2. @Exellanix this is a cool idea, but i don't know if its possible. And are you asking for help on how to do it? If so then this is kinda the right section, I would recommend you put this post in https://www.spigotmc.org/forums/programming.53/ < I'm not sure if this is the right thread just I guess it would be.

3. It is possible to make a configuration that runs a maven goal to compile and copy your plugin into the plugins folder of your test server, and then runs the server jar, is this what you want?

4. That would work, but I would also like it to start up minecraft and make a random player join, that you would controll. Then all you have to do is press run and you would be put in the server with the plugin and be able to test it. I'm not that experienced with maven, so you would have to help me.

5. i'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish

6. I want to be able to press the "run" button and that will make me join a test server that has the plugin that I made, and let me test that plugin. Without me opening up minecraft.

7. Okay so, you want your minecraft client joining when the server has started? If it's that, you'll need a mod to do it.