Selling Plugins Allowed?

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Help' started by EvolvedGalaxy1, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I was going on to the "CustomCrates" plugin and I saw that its for money! Now I remember when Mojang said about getting money from servers and such and when I read the EULA I remember

"
    • give copies of our Game to anyone else;
    • make commercial use of anything we‘ve made;
    • try to make money from anything we‘ve made; or
    • let other people get access to anything we‘ve made in a way that is unfair or unreasonable."
    So isn't making a minecraft plugin making money or in this case CustomCrates making money from selling the plugin? Just wondering I don't wanna get in legal trouble now.

2. Let's see:
    1. SpigotMC changed their complete System just because of "a small DCMA". So I'm quite sure they would have done sth if they broke the EULA!
    2. Spigot is a very famous website so Mojang has to know them. ==> No complaint --> No problem
    3. In fact (that's the biggest point in my opinion) you don't earn money with their work.. You use their "API" and earn money with your work

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. No. Spigot is not a very famous website, and no. Mojang doesn't HAVE to know them, they know them because of legal infractions.

Spigot isn't famous because not a large group of people use it, only a small part of the Minecraft community.

4. Sorry bro.. But that's just wrong ^^
    They have to know them because of several reasons:
    - Bukkit is dead ---> Spigot is the most famous server-software now (because they now official work on bukkit)
    - A very large group of people use it (actually 62039) ^^
    - I think around 100 already reported spigot to mojang...
    Seriously: Do you think Mojang doesn't know them? ^^

5. Although about the API what happend with google and Oracle is this a similar case?

6. I didn't say they didn't know what Spigot is/does. I said that they don't HAVE to. They obviously know what Spigot is because of legal issues, I bet they knew what Spigot was when it launched. Read what I said before you say stupid shit.

and 62,000 people don't use spigot, a little under 1.5k use it daily (idk i dont look at stats) (Also 62k people isn't a lot compared to the ~27 million copies sold)

7. clip

Benefactor

You are incorrect.

[​IMG]

Those 83k servers had to obtain spigot from somewhere right? In actuality this only shows servers with mcstats enabled. The actual number exceeds 100k

8. I'm talking like, logging onto the website daily.

edit; [​IMG]

9. clip

Benefactor

Ah well you should also take into consideration that the number of online members may seem low but different people log in and out every few seconds.

10. That's why I put my guess a bit high (1.5k) counting the people that log on and off, and peaks. I'm still off by a bit, but whatever.

11. CustomCrates is not a Minecraft plugin. It just uses Spigot API.

12. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

This has been discussed dozens of times, please use the search feature

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.