Solved Sending 1.7 and 1.8 packets on 1.7 server

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by joeleoli, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The specific packet is PacketPlayOutPlayerInfo. Would I have to re-make the 1.8 version of the packet so I could send it to 1.8 players? I can't use ProtocolLib because different data is sent between the 2 versions and the player being sent the packet will crash due to a larger byte size than expected.

2. Basically sending 1.7 packets on a 1.7 server is obviously correct, what do you mean by 1.8 packets? your server is still on 1.7 and should use 1.7 packets then, 1.8 packets are only available when your server is running on the version.
    So if you have any network injection that allows 1.8 players to join your server it should be still fine using 1.7 packets cause your player is then still playing on an 1.7 server ( 1.8 client side ) ( maybe not really supported due to the very intense changes between those version. )

3. My spigot fork is 1.7 and it implements 1.8 to allow players on 1.8 to join. Not sure how it does it, but it does. My issue is, I'm using a TabAPI known as Kraken to modify the player list to display colored text and information about the server. Kraken is only compatible with 1.7 as it uses NMS classes, so I'm trying to make it compatible with 1.8 players. Kraken works by manipulating teams, their prefixes, and their suffixes, and then sending the PacketPlayOutPlayerInfo packet to the player.

4. Yes you need to send the correct data for the relevant client versions.

All sending packets breaks down to eventually is just writing basic info (identifier + data) to an outputstream

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.