Server Bandwith?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by iMC, May 24, 2015.

1. iMC

iMC

Hey everyone,
    I was looking into upgrading from my current host and was pointed towards Kimsufi, who seem pretty nice in pricing and specs from what i've seen, but they only seem to offer 100Mbps in bandwith?, how many players would 100Mbps be capable of supporting? as I was recommended to get a host that has a bandwith of 1Gbps by a friend.

I just really need to know what a 100Mbps bandwith is capable of doing playerwise, thanks!.

#1 iMC, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. Hello, Please contact me on Skype, I have some questions to ask you.

3. iMC

iMC

What? O.O, I just want to know the number of players 100Mbps can handle xP nothing else.

4. Haha, I just want to ask a question.

5. iMC

iMC

Ask here? I am currently unable to get on Skype.

6. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

How many players do you even have? Realistically 100Mbps can hold a few hundred players, I see an average of 20-40 KB/s per player. Bandwidth is the last thing you'll need to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. iMC

iMC

Oh ok, it's just that last time I got a dedicated server from Online.net (Who are France based?) and my players had very bad latency issues, I guess it's just based on location rather than the actual bandwith ?

8. Displayed on the website and assuming, It's 3 players.

9. iMC

iMC

Whitelisted at the moment as we are undergoing a server overhaul, hope that wasn't meant as an insult.

10. Wasn't a insult, just an assumption.
    So, What is your average playerbase?

11. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

The speed of the port on your server won't affect the network latency. If you want lower latency for your players you need to get a server that's near their location in the world.

12. 100mbit/s are perfectly fine. I calculate with around 2mbit/s per 10 player (6 are staying in their chunks and 4 are loading chunks at the same time because they teleport somewhere for example).

• Like Like x 1
  13. For us at DatPixel, we only start pushing 100mbps once we hit 400+ players, I think you'll be fine for however many players you may be supporting currently :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I have a 10 meg port, it supports my 70-80 players, that I get on at primetime.