Server-CPU's

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by McLive, Apr 29, 2013.

1. I must decide:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    OR
    Intel Xeon E3 1245v2

Both have the same clock speed. But which one is better?

Currently, I have the i7. Is the difference to the Xeon noticeable?

I'm interested in your answers. :)

2. Sway

Artist Supporter

Personally i would go with the Xeon as they are server processors and are built to run 24/7 and last a lot longer. The i7 is a desktop processor and is not supposed to be used in a server. You do however get the same amount of power out of an i7.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. This. I would prefer stability over a ~5 power increase.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

My i7 930 has been running 24/7 for over 2 years. :p

Overclocked to 4.4 might I add.

5. Doing what type of work? If it is heavy gaming, remember your GPU does a lot of work to :p

6. Sway

Artist Supporter

Yes, but you probably have aftermarket cooling. Servers do not have that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

How about 1 year of heavy [email protected]
    The other year or so doing constant things that work the CPU, not going to list everything as I am too lazy.

My GPU is barely touched, considering the only game I have been playing the last year is Minecraft. :mad:

Well the occasional Skyrim when I have small free time, still haven't finished that darn game.

True, but some host use some decent cooling solutions.

8. Thanks for your answers. I'll stay with the i7.

9. CCT

CCT
    Supporter

Xeons are of the same architecture of i7's. The difference is that Xeons are the cream of the crop. They are built for 24/7 continuous usage and run at lower temperatures. i7's should not be used in servers like this. I would recommend a Xeon E3-1290 V2

10. CCT

CCT
    Supporter

However you should note that there is an exponential price difference between the Xeon 1280/1290 processors and the rest of the E3s. A 1290 V2 (3.7ghz) would cost about $1100 whereas something like a 1270 V2 (3.5ghz) would cost around $350. So perhaps that would be a better solution.