Server crash (Too Many open files)

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by Kouki, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Hi,

I just reinstalled my whole dedicated server on debian 6 (was on ubuntu 12) and when i use my server for like 10 minutes, it simply crash, with errors messages saying that plugin's can't open or read files...

Exemple of errors:

Code (Text):
    net.minecraft.server.v1_6_R2.ExceptionWorldConflict: Failed to check session lock, aborting
    Code (Text):
    [Multiverse-Inventories] plugins/Multiverse-Inventories/players/Player.yml (Too many open files)

Code (Text):
    2013-09-18 22:24:10 [SEVERE] Could not save crash report to ./crash-reports/crash-2013-09-18_22.24.10-server.txt
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./crash-reports/crash-2013-09-18_22.24.10-server.txt (Too many open files)

I don't think it's a Spigot problem but more a "linux system problem"...

Since i have one other server which run perfectly without this "bug" on the same machine, i really can't understand... Also a simple "cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max" show me that the max file i can open / read is 1641792.

But when i start the server, openned file are only around 2000 / 2400, so it can't be that...

I don't think the full crash log would be usefull cause it's only about plugins who can't write / read.

Also all my files are with the right owner, and for testing purpose i gave all my minecraft files "chown 777"

Thanks if anyone can help me ...

#1 Kouki, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. prplz

Supporter

Possibly a bad plugin leaking file descriptors.

3. joehot200

Supporter

Or someone is using the minecraft Slowloris exploit.

4. prplz

Supporter

I don't think that is present on spigot due to the asynchronous networking engine called netty

5. joehot200

Supporter

I believe it is, though i cannot be sure of that. best to be protected anyway. :)

6. CCT

CCT
    Supporter

The fix for this is simple, just type: ulimit -n 99999

7. Read my full post ...

"Since i have one other server which run perfectly without this "bug" on the same machine, i really can't understand... Also a simple "cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max" show me that the max file i can open / read is 1641792.
    And when i start the server, openned file are only around 2000 / 2400, so it can't be that..."

8. joehot200

Supporter

We did. There is too many open files, so you increase the limit. Simples!
    It is probably a plugin that is opening files without closing them.

9. but omg i told you my max open file is 1641792 and when i check how many open file it's only around 2000 / 2400 ! so it can't be that ...

10. I finally tried, do'nt work better

11. why would you pm me on a simple matter.

They've told you the issue/solution and all of them are correct, your hard file limit is more than likely too low. You can only raise the soft file limit without a reboot.

You can't up the hardlimit without modifying your stuff and rebooting.

12. The thing is, i already do and it's not that.. cause when i check my "openned files" it never goes up more than 2400 files open.. while my limit is 99999