Server got hacked

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by BoomScoom, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just would like to point something out just to have for reference in the future.

Under the CFAA, it is a federal crime to "intentionally access a computer without authorization or exceed authorized access"

This very law applies to putting a backdoor in a plugin to then send back to a server administrator. If the server owner wanted to pursue this you could face federal hacking charges. I suggest in the future you do not share your account that way you never put yourself in a situation where this can happen.

This thread should be locked now.

• Funny Funny x 9
  2. Imo it wouldn't get anywhere in a court anyway.

3. I have to agree, courts wouldn't even give a crap about two large minecraft servers going at it, doubt they'd care about a plugin.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Daniel Cuthbert typed in ../../../ in the URL. He was convicted of "intent to hack"
    Lori Drew was convicted of hacking MySpace, because she violated MySpace's terms-of-service by creating a fake account.
    Andrew "weeve" Auernheimer pled guilty to identity theft, because AT&T provided customer account info for early iPad owners on their website, and he wrote a script that just enumerated the URLs and download them.
    Brian K. West was threatened with prosecution because he clicked on a button labelled "Edit" on a newspaper website

Its not about your opinion, its about the fact that it is a real problem where laws are not developed for this age of technology and COULD go somewhere.

So adding a line of code which allows you to gain administrator access in game could deffinetly fit in that line of charges.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. I mean, those are large companies, we're just talking about a plugin on an online PC Game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. On top of that, multiple of those cases are many years old, and would probably play out in a completely different way if something like those were to reoccur again today.

On top of that, people get tricked by a poisoned plugin thing all the time, and the worst that ever really comes of it is a destroyed map in a minecraft server.
    I'd bet every cent in my bank account that taking something like that to a court wouldn't hold up unless the person taking the issue to court had a absolute crap ton of spare money to throw at some of the best lawyers.. and even then.

7. PLEASE. GO AWAY ALREADY.
    You're just embarrassing yourself more and more each time you post.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Spigot is in no way part of this. There is no reason for it to act in any way.

9. You'd have to show that you had at least US$5,000 in damages. (Oh, and you better have been paying your income taxes for your server's revenue!)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. oh my god why can't you people read?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.