Server specs help :)

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Help' started by ItsCubeTime, May 16, 2016.

1. Hi, I'm planning buying a home server for hosting some websites and a bungee cord server system.

The specs I'm planning to use are:
    CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
    CPU-Coooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard:ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury White 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    GPU: MSI Radeon R7 250 2GB Video Card
    PSU: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply
    Case: Thermal VERSA 21 Snowedition

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Olliver_Aira/saved/#view=jNrZxr

So the question I want answer on is how well this may run, how many websites and server I will b able to host etc. (Want to run around 6 MC servers with 16-32 slots each and 3 basic websites + domains if possible)

Internet: Haven't decided what Internet to get yet, but I will prob. go for something like a 300mbits/s upload speed and 200mbits/s download

2. **Gets DDoSed with 1Gbps**

done

3. I'm going to be honest, don't host at home. There are so many factors against this, first you have the initial cost of the parts, which from that you have selected will be $550. Then you will need to pay for electric to keep it running 24/7. You also will need to pay for internet, and 300mbps upload speed and 200mbps download isn't going to be cheap, especially if you're in the US. Have you also checked that you are actually able to receive those speeds at your home?

Secondly, is space. If you have a big home that may not be an issue, but if you are perhaps limited already for space, you are now going to need to fit in a new PC tower and probably a monitor mouse and keys which is also going to be noisy and generate a fair bit of heat from constantly being on. For something you won't be actively using, it can be a bit of a pain.

Thirdly is security and infrastructure. Given you will have only 300mbps, that would be fairly easy to take your internet offline by dos. Or even just a simple power cut will take it offline. However, going with a server provider, you will likely get ddos protection includ and they will likely have backup generators in case of a power outage. Also location. Server providers are usually located at locations that are well connected to the rest of the world. This will mean for people in other countries, they will likely be able to access your server more quickly, and have a better connection than your home server.

Take a look here for some more pros and cons http://superuser.com/questions/607678/setting-up-a-server-at-home-vs-renting-a-dedicated-server

Although I would disagree with it being cheaper (on the link above), with companies like OVH and SoYouStart it is now much cheaper to rent a server. Something similar (but better) to the specs you have listed would be SYS's GAME-2 server which is just over $70 a month before tax, roughly what you would pay for internet and electricity alone if you home hosted. And their GAME-2 option is kind of overkill, so you could go with a less powerful server and save even more money.

Other than that I see no issue with the build, just bare in mind however, they are not meant to be used in a server type set-up so they are unlikely to perform as well as parts made specifically for servers. Maybe add a SSD as well.

#5 Nick_A_Llama, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  4. That would just add $30 to your monthly cost, something you can usually free from a server provider.

5. Thought about the $10 package to be honest, but I guess that isn't enough then?

6. S
    Suggestion:
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor
    RAM: 64 gigs of DDR4 1866-2400Mhz ram from Kingston
    Drive 1: 480/240 gig SSD - Run all of your minecraft servers & websites off of that
    Drive 2: 2TB WD BLUE - for backups
    Drive 3 (optional): 2TB WD BLUE - for backing up the backup drive. do a raid 1 on the 2nd and 3rd drive to achieve this easily
    Mobo: Anything that supports LGA 1151 and 64 gigs of ram
    PSU: Cosair 500w should do the trick
    GPU: for a server? no lol.
    CASE: w/e
    This way each of the servers you intend to host has a healthy 8 gigs each meaning you have 16 gigs to mess around with.

Or you could go to a hosting company like OVH, lease 2 MC-32's of the MC-128 with a FS-12T (I'd recommend this particularly for the MC-32's but no so much for the MC-128) which would make your life much easier.

MC-32:
    run 3 servers on each node to have the same healthy 8 gigs, meaning you'll have 8 gigs per node to mess around with. Or run 4 servers on 1 node and 3 on the other (not recommended) meaning you'll have 16 gigs to mess around with on only 1 node while the other one is completely utilized by the 4 servers.

MC-128:
    you'll be able to host all servers on that single node with 8 gigs (easily) with 64 gigs to mess around with, but the problem with that is that if the node suddenly goes bust, all your servers goes down.

7. Well the space isn't really a problem... But in my apartment is it usually around 30 C in the room I'm thinking of having the server.

Also I haven't checked if it even is possible to get 300mbits/s where I live, but I believe so (I do have extra fiber Internet ready) but something I do know is that my parents will stand for somethingthe Internet costs anyway xD

Anyway, do I actually have tried hosting a server from bisect hosting, but I didn't really like having to upload all the files thou a FTP, since it took so long uploading... Also I want to be able to control my server by 100% and not get stock in that everything have to run on a jar file...

So now finally, is there any other downsides by hosting from home?

And do you have any ideas on good ways to get around DDoS? :)

8. Really necessary for 6 servers? :eek: (went a bit over my budget)

Also the reason for that I had a GPU on my build was because the mad fx series don't have internal graphics. ;)

9. I..I just have you a whole list of the downsides. Did you actually read my post?

Also bisect hosting is in no way the same as renting a dedicated server. You get full control of everything. Also FTP shouldn't really take that long with a dedi and even then, you can just install it from the server itself, which is very easy to do if you install a desktop environment.

So looking at your reply.. you seem to not know what you are really doing. Are you sure you want to go and blow $550 if you don't know actually how to run a dedicated server?

10. Yes I did actually read the whole post. But no, I don't know way to much about dedicated servers to be honest.

And the possible issues you listed up for me don't really affect me so much (Expect that DDoS may be a problem).

Also paying like 70 dollars per month for a server will still be a lot more exensive than having a homeserver in the length of around 2 years

11. Ahh right ok, and yeah that's sort of like the medium spec stuff for a network that fits around what you want, I mean if you really wanted to cheap out, getting a MC-32 and giving each server 4 gigs which would be utilizing 24 gigs which would leave you 8 gigs for all of your operating system and web server needs. If you're attempting to start up a network straight off, then don't. It's harder starting, maintaining and successfully improving 6 servers than 1 server.

EDIT: I forgot one other option, you can get the HOST-64L (witch has 64 gigs of ram with a 2 4TB HD's) which would allow you to have 6 servers with 6 gigs allocated to them which leaves 28 gigs for a bungee server, operating system needs and your webserver needs.

EDIT 2: But the CPU with the HOST-64L will nor perform as well as the MC-32 (I7-4790K) or the MC-128 (E5-1650v2) but will trample your choice of a AMD-8350.

EDIT 3: If you want some direct help, contact me on skype @ live:studdedexpandable

#13 TheMasteredPanda, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  12. Hmm, ok thanks for the tips, but in that case am I completely fine with 2-4 gb of ram/server :)

Anyway I've been searching abit about DDoS protection and stuff and found some solid data centers who provided DDoS protection and proxy servers for a good price... For example this one with 1000 MPs for only $14/month

What do you think? Good or awful idea?

Otherwise I found a incredible cheap mc server host called Hicoria that offers servers for a price as low as around 2 dollars/ GB :eek:

(Prob some kind of scam, but maybe worth a try?) ^-^

13. If you're gonna home host, don't go with a AMD cpu lol. especially one that bellows more heat than my oven every second.

InABate has been ok for me, depends which host you're with tbh. But they offer 1TB/$10 and something crazy like 0.10 cents (or whatever your penny currency is) per public IP. I'd suggest looking at. What's your internet speed btw?

#15 TheMasteredPanda, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  14. First of all, WHATS SO WRONG WITH AMD!????!? (Lol sorry just felt for caps there...)

Anyway I've never had any problems with them tho... All my AMD computers have run exelent so far, without any issues or unexpected lag

Internet:
    But the internet speed is unknown so far... xD Going to get a external Internet system just for the server.
    :rolleyes:

If you have any tips for what to buy, please write down your ideas c:

15. Also ty for the DDoS alternative, looks great (and incredibly cheap). Can't find there server specs and location tho..

Btw what did you think about the host (Hicoria) I found (as alternative for hosting). Know anything about them?

16. Never heard of them tbh, others may know though.

17. You will need protection ;)

18. ok :)

Solved