Server UPS help

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Wumfie, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Hi i was wondering if i could get a UPS (uninteruptible power supply(battery)) for my server as i have been having lots of power cuts. I need something that shuts down the server then possibly turns off windows.

All help greatly appreciated :)

And when i say UPS and APC they both arent delivery companies xD

#1 Wumfie, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Yep..
    You want a lorry to deliver?
    [​IMG]

Jokes aside, please rephrase

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. HAHA

4. I think he is looking for a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for his computer. Something like the this? https://www.newegg.com/UPS/SubCategory/ID-72
    Unfortunately I don't know of anything that is capable of safely shutting down the server once a power cut is detected.

5. Strahan

Benefactor

APC has/had PowerChute which would send the shutdown signal when power was lost after a certain amount of time, and if you get one with a NIC you can do SNMP traps. That's what I did with my UPS, before the battery went bad and I never replaced it lol.

6. We have a diskstation and have gone through two UPS due to battery faliure and our school technitians are always fixing theirs lol xD. I will go and try powerchute with a UPS that is currently in use. Thanks for the help xD. Will say if it works...

7. I see you changed your post here XD
    I hope someone here can help ya, I personally don't have a clue about this stuff (too confusing) ;P

8. Umm... haha APC who make UPS. Apc-overnight is also a delivery company lol.

9. Well this seems to be the most help i have ever got on spigot lol. (Not sarcastic)

10. Strahan

Benefactor

Shouldn't happen too often. My APC SmartUPS 2200 batteries last eight years before croaking.

11. Strahan

Benefactor

Setup an SNMP manager to put "stop" in the console when the UPS trap is triggered. From the link you provided, it has a "data port" but I'm not sure if it supports SNMP or not, you'd have to read up on it.

12. I recommand gettings UPS that you can change the battery out when it dies.