Should I learn Php

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Alex0589, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Hi spigot users,
    In the past years I learnt how to code using Java ( 2 years), HTML and CSS (1 year) and C++(some months). I was thinking if I should learn Php after learning C++. If not, what programming language should I learn after?

2. As much as I dislike PHP, I can't deny that it's still used very often and is still quite practical, let alone the average demand for PHP developers when it comes to building a website. Learning it definitely isn't a waste of time in my opinion.

3. It really depends on what you want to do as a developer. If you want to do web development then yeah you should probably learn it, a good example of where this is really useful is for Wordpress plugins. However, you probably want to learn javascript too if you decide to do web development.

4. A valid alternative to PHP is Python.
    Easy to learn but very powerfull!

5. MiniDigger

Supporter

uuuhm, both languages do completely different things?
    if you want to build websites, learn javascript and pickup a nice framework like vue.js or react. php is ancient, you will not have fun (well, you are learning c++ so I guess you are used to not having fun, but its still not smth I would recommend anyone)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Never heard about "Django"?

7. MiniDigger

Supporter

8. Strahan

Benefactor

Fun is subjective. I enjoy PHP.

You want to really make some money as a developer? Learn RPG and COBOL. People fluent in those languages are literally dying off, leaving companies that still have heavy mainframe investments desperate to find talent as most of the modern crop of developers have your apparent mindset; old = bad. They only learn the flashy new stuff so people good in older languages are getting few and far between. Thanks to supply and demand, an expert in RPG and COBOL can extort top dollar :)

9. MiniDigger

Supporter

Jokes on you, I know cobol and I wrote production cobol code before.
    I would still quit my job the day somebody even tries to have my open a terminal emulation of the mainframe. My sanity is worth more than what they would pay me. As a developer, you don't earn bad anyways, you get to choose what you want to do in many cases, so I choose languages with syntaxes that don't make me want to vomit.

10. Strahan

Benefactor

I'm talking about enterprise level fluency, not just dinkering with it. Most experienced developers around here only get up to around the low 100k range. My employer hired a mainframe dev and we started them at $160k. For this area, that's rather high.

I would happily transition to RPG if they offered me $250k a year :)

11. MiniDigger

Supporter

I work for an insurance. Doesn't get much more enterprisey than that :ROFLMAO:
    Cobol is a really easy language, I picked it up in a few days. You need like a week till you know how you have to deal with the mainframe and then you are good to go. It's not that the job is incredibly hard and that's why they pay so much. It's a job nobody wants to do. We got ppl back from retirement when we did the sepa migration few years back because we didn't have enough cobol devs and non of our java devs felt like taking a trip into stone age.

Anyways. You are missing my point. It makes no sense to learn php when there are other, more modern and more performant and generally nicer languages and ecosystems.

12. And then I use OCaml for trading. No context, just wanted to say something about a more esoteric language.

I agree but my one problem is that especially with webdev there are so many frameworks that just keep popping up that by the time you learn one and start implementing it people start to make fun of you for using something outdated. Like I would look at the end goal, PHP I think is pretty nifty to learn in general but if targeting webdev then yeah maybe learn a framework that's more oriented towards that.

Just happy there isn't the usual bandwagon of people spamming "PHP is shit... etc" but actually fair minded conversation.

13. there is a bit of php in your sql injection

14. Strahan

Benefactor

True, I suppose there really isn't much PHP has to offer for someone who isn't already invested. In regards to the other issue what I'm saying is that, at least at my employer, we'd never consider a 21 year old for a major enterprise developer role as you just can't possibly have had the requisite experience. Also it's not just a matter of crunching code, there is a lot more mainframe engineers need to be capable of. If you seriously think a week of COBOL (btw, RPG is the more important one anyway) is all it takes to be able to step into the role of managing these systems, you're woefully misinformed as to how much of a cluster fuck it can be lol

PS: Don't misconstrue this as personal attacks; I'm not saying you aren't capable. You could be a prodigy for all I know. I'm speaking generally.

15. MiniDigger

Supporter

Can't talk about rpg as we don't use that. I also never said that I have the experience that our oldest mainframe developers have. We have ppl who wrote some of our programms on punch cards. I just said that it's not as bad as you are trying to point out. I was able to do changes to existing programms with hints on where to look in a week. The experience I lack isn't in cobol, as the language is extremely simple. I just lack the insight into our architecture (well, and the dedication to get into that mess, I only touched it because I had to because of uni)
    Anyways, this is off topic.

16. To respond to the OP; don't learn PHP. Learn JavaScript. Much more important for web development as it runs client- and server-side (PHP only runs server-side).