Should I run my minecraft servers off of this?

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by TrillestPvP, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Why should I use a home PC and not my HP DL380 G6 Rack server?

2. Aside of the RAM your main rig is probably more powerfull and efficient.
    So since all cons are listed there is nothing else to say.

3. Well, a server is meant to run 24/7 a Home PC is not. Plus my PC has 16Gb of ram and server has 46Gb? Server Ram > PC Ram. Plus how can admins manage databases, files and even edit configs on my home PC. So... I better off running it on my Server with more ram. Plus my server has a panel which my home PC can't.

4. "Plus my server has a panel which my home PC can't."
    You can install a panel for your home PC just fine.

"Plus how can admins manage databases, files and even edit configs on my home PC. "
    Using a panel.

"Well, a server is meant to run 24/7 a Home PC is not"
    Well yes but actually no. Both can run 24/7 without an issues.

5. So I can install Pterodactyl, a game hosting panel on my home PC which is Windows 10 now?

6. Pterodactyl doesn't support Windows 10, but Pterodactyl isn't the only panel out there.

7. I don't care, I like pterodactyl, I've been using it for the past year and I find it the best. I will stick with my server.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. So that's 12.5 pounds/month. How much does renting a server cost?

And does the 112 W include monitors?

9. >monitors
    It's a server, why would you need a monitor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Anyone got any questions about my server or any more suggestions?

11. By the time you will actually need the 46GB of RAM (for actual players not empty servers) it's very likely that you will run into other issues with your connection or cpu speed etc.
    At this point my biggest concern for 24/7 use would be the hard drive but you only have a 70GB (even if it's a SAS) hard drive so the one in your pc can't really be worse (hdd and even ssd are pretty cheap these days)
    Of course you would use a VirtualMachine where you can install a distribution of linux with Pterodactyl support.
    But if you don't care about the electricity bill anyway just go ahead.

12. I was thinking of doing a small network.