Skylake is Coming!

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by RSNET-Radic, May 1, 2015.

1. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm so hyped for skylake! The beefed up iGPUs will make for a dope USFF PC!
    We should wait for Skylake-E before really jumping on it - they're supposed to be 50%+ more efficient!

• Like Like x 3
  4. OMG! Yay, couldn't this have a better name tho, i mean skylake xD

5. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

I'm really hoping that Intel lives up to their performance promises with this line of processors, but you should expect at least a 5% gain in single threaded performance.

6. Honestly it looks mostly like a gain in power/heat efficiency - which is definitely something that gives me a nerdboner, but it's not too interesting for high-performance servers.

7. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Yes, but power/heat efficiency means that those 95 watt CPUs *should* be monsters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. It looks like some benchmarks leaked out. Take this with a grain of salt, but if these are correct the performance boost isn't anything to be excited about. The thing to get excited about will be the potential power savings from the die shrink. The TDP is actually higher than haswell/broadwell because of the better on die graphics, but that doesn't tell the full story on how much power it will actually use.
    http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/82783-alleged-benchmarks-intel-i7-6700k-skylake-cpu-published/

9. "nerdboner" gives you 100+ positive ratings.

10. No seriously, I'm head over heels for what Intel has been doing recently.
    I'm not much of a performance enthusiast outside servers, and the whole low heat/power thing Intel has been pushing is absolutely amazing. 100% fanless mini-itx builds that can actually do entry-level gaming is something that wasn't possible two years ago.