[SOLVED] Spikes in traffic & more RAM usage than allocated

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Diamond_X, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello Spigot,

I've gotten myself a 16 GB Dedi and so far, no issues whatsoever.

Thought I have noticed some strange things and I have no clue why these are happening or how to fix them (if they are fixable)

Situation 1: (Weird traffic spikes)
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there are random spikes in the traffic. I'm not entirely sure if this is normal and can be ignored or if it's something I should worry about.

Situation 2: (Higher RAM usage than allocated)
    [​IMG]

This really does my head in. Can anyone please tell me why this is happening? If so how do I fix it from using twice as much RAM as I allocate?

I understand that I'm giving not alot of information, quite frankly because I don't know what to give. I'll answer any questions so feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for the help given.

2. Those traffic spikes may seem high but 150kB/s really isn't that much. (They can be caused by software updates, or similar things. Usually nothing to worry about, at that rate)

Regarding your ram, whats shown there might be virtual memory, could you please show us a screenshot of htop?

3. [​IMG]

#3 Diamond_X, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. Yeah, in the RES column you can see the actually used memory

5. That's strange xD!

What is Virtual memory then? Why does it display so much as virtual memory.

6. I think it is a piece of your hardware that will be used as RAM.
    This:
    [​IMG]

7. Virtual memory is a technique that allows the operating system to map different regions in physical memory to virtual addresses. This allows it to save unused parts of the memory to your hard drive (pagefiles) and programs don't require one complete region of memory.

E.g. code that has only been used once to start the VM (and therefore isn't required anymore) but technically can't be unloaded will end up in Virtual Memory.

Note that swap and virtual memory are two different things: Swap is used when your physical memory is full and the os can't unload anything to the virtual memory.

Note to the tech geeks: Yes, this explanation is incredibly simplified ...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thank you, you've helped alot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.