Some Linux Questions

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Nore, Apr 23, 2017.

1. I have done some research myself, but I have not gotten much information regarding my questions. I want to start using Linux.

1. What are some tools to learn Linux?
    2. How powerful does a machine have to be to run Linux?
    3. Can you switch to Linux Distro when you have a Windows OS (and if so, how can you do it)?
    4. What is a recommended Linux Distro for a beginner?
    I am planning on putting Linux on one of my old PCs, and I am not sure if it can handle Linux.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @2.93 GHz
    10 GB of RAM
    64-bit Windows 7
    149 GB hard drive (w/ 1.31 GB free)

Not sure if this is in the correct section or not.

2. If it can run windows, it can run linux.

3. Thank you. What Linux Distribution do you recommend?

4. I personally use archlinux on my desktop but mainly debian for everything else. Haven't actually switched my main desktop over. Though a stripped Ubuntu will work just as good.

5. arch is not for beginners.
    1. What are some tools to learn Linux?: Work with it, have fun. Trial and error.
    2. How powerful does a machine have to be to run Linux? 0
    3. Can you switch to Linux Distro when you have a Windows OS (and if so, how can you do it)? Yes, research "dual booting"
    4. What is a recommended Linux Distro for a beginner? To name a few Ubuntu, Mint or Debian.

6. I'd recommend Ubuntu, it's user friendly and easy to work with. It's a good starting platform.

As for learning, put yourself on a project, then if you're stuck. Ask others.
    I did this by trying to download buildtools via .tar on my Ubuntu PC. There's many things you can do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. In addition to what @MurryPuppins said, Linux is overall extremely lightweight compared to Windows. With those specs of yours, your linux installation will run like a train on steroids :p

1. Lots of mistakes and Google
    2. Most machines can run Linux, Even if they can't run windows. My Raspberry pi is able to smoothly run a Debian based Linux distro
    3. Yes, you can dual boot, this is done by partitioning the hard disk. If you don't want to do this, you can install Linux onto a pendrive and boot from there.
    4. UBUNTUUUUUUU