Some problems with "Screen" on Debian VPS

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Theadri1900, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Hi all,
    Today, i bought a VPS to run multiple Minecraft'servers and by the way, i use the application called "screen" to run the java application meanwhile i'm not connected in ssh.
    So, i use multiple screen instance, it's not a problem (one for lobby, one for bungee, one for serverA etc...)
    BUT, some of servers needs to stop after a game, and a script must be called to clean the map (delete actual world and copy a new one). And this is where i have troubles ...
    First problem : i can't use the desktop java function, it makes an error ...
    Second problem : how to run the script (sh script which run a java application) inside the actual screen ?

My error for the desktop :
    Code (Text):
    [Underground_intern] Task #3 for Underground_intern v1.0 generated an exception
    java.awt.HeadlessException:
    No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
            at java.awt.Desktop.getDesktop(Desktop.java:142) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
            at fr.minecraftnews.internServer.ExpulseAndStop.run(ExpulseAndStop.java:45) ~[?:?]
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_8_R3.scheduler.CraftTask.run(CraftTask.java:71) ~[spigot.jar:git-Spigot-d2856ae-8f0f4ed]
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_8_R3.scheduler.CraftScheduler.mainThreadHeartbeat(CraftScheduler.java:350) [spigot.jar:git-Spigot-d2856ae-8f0f4ed]
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.MinecraftServer.B(MinecraftServer.java:726) [spigot.jar:git-Spigot-d2856ae-8f0f4ed]
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.DedicatedServer.B(DedicatedServer.java:367) [spigot.jar:git-Spigot-d2856ae-8f0f4ed]
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.MinecraftServer.A(MinecraftServer.java:657) [spigot.jar:git-Spigot-d2856ae-8f0f4ed]
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_8_R3.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:560) [spigot.jar:git-Spigot-d2856ae-8f0f4ed]
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_45]

2. VPS is not good for minecraft you could get a cheap dedicated server with 8gb ram starting at 20$ a month.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Yeah, somewhere maybe at like kimsufi or soyoustart

4. I use kimsufi and it works great for my small network.

5. Tbh, I don't think debian is quite a comfortable distribution to run a Minecraft server on, maybe change to CentOS my server runs on this OS and there a rarely any lag spikes.