SoYouStart, how do I open a port to use with Votifier?

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Joedon, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey,

I can't find any examples of opening a port to use Votifier with on my server. Using the default 8192 doesn't work. I don't know much about dedicated servers and how they work and don't have an admin to contact right now, so I was hoping I could do it myself. Is it easy enough to accomplish thru the SyS control panel?

Thanks,

2. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

What's the output of iptables -L ? I don't think SYS/OVH servers even block anything by default.. the rules are cleared. Either way this has nothing to do with SYS.

3. https://gyazo.com/5c25ed30ec94c79c6d0972d207f9ed9d this is what comes up, no idea what any of it means so my bad if there's something obvious there.

4. Pretty much means that you're accepting everything (outbound/inbound) without restrictions.. so with your current setup, no, you can just start using that port right away. You should look at Spigots wiki for simple firewall guides for iptables so you don't have all of those ports open.

5. Okay, so why doesn't Votifier work then with any random port like my old hosting site? I've tried a bunch of random 4 digit numbers but none of them, including the default, work. It just comes up with:
    Code (Text):
    > [05:01:41 INFO]: [Votifier] Enabling Votifier v1.9
    > [05:01:41 ERROR]: [Votifier] Error initializing vote receiver. Please verify that the configured
    > [05:01:41 ERROR]: [Votifier] IP address and port are not already in use. This is a common problem
    > [05:01:41 ERROR]: [Votifier] with hosting services and, if so, you should check with your hosting provider.
    java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address (Bind failed)
    Shouldn't this error NOT come up if the port is available?

6. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Bind failed? You are using the public IP right?

Are you running your MC servers in Docker containers? Since your iptables output has Docker rules, this is an extra layer of things to deal with.

7. I am. And I think so? I don't know for sure, I really hate dealing with the backend of stuff like this, and wasn't the one who set it all up. As for that extra layer of things, what do I have to do? Or would it be better to contact someone to do it "right" so I don't mess something up.

8. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Best for you to ask the person who set it up for you, nobody here would know the setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.