Spigot 1.12-1.13 Getting player client version

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by PerryAgentP123, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Hello, I am trying to get the players client version, how do I go about doing this without external libraries? (ProtocolLib, ETC)

2. Why you don't want use ProtocolLib?

3. Are you using ViaVersion?

4. Getting the client version may not always be accurate since it can be spoofed or the payload packet just isn’t received.

May I ask what the purpose of this is? I can probably help you find a better solution.

5. The reason *CLASSIFIED*

6. The version is always the same as the server, since the server will simply kick the user if the version doesn't match.

If you're using something like ProtocolSupport or ViaVersion to bypass this restriction, then consult the documentation of that plugin on how to get the version of the Player.

7. Not for some spigots that implement 1.7-1.8 or 1.8-1.12 compatibility without an addon.

8. Then it's not Spigot, isn't it :p (it's a derivative, and imho a bit of a sad one)

9. Actually I know the 1.7-1.8 version was made by Spigot. Im not too sure of the 1.8-1.12 one.

10. The 1.7-1.8 compat was written by the Spigot team as 1.8 had the DMCA issues and they couldn't move forward, so they patched it back in 2014-2015 to allow 1.8 players on the 1.7 servers. 1.8-1.12 was never a thing for Spigot. (Honestly, those people should just download a 1.12 client for the 1.12 servers)

11. I can tell you how to do it with ViaVersion.