Spigot 1.16.2 Server Mobs Spawning WAY Over Mobcap

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by MetalTurtle, Aug 23, 2020.

1. I just made a survival server on Spigot 1.16.2. I have made sure I am running the latest build already. There are a ridiculous number of mobs all over. I am in hard difficulty but that should not effect the mobcap, which I have left at the default of 70. I can't think of why this weird problem is happening but I think it is causing lag and making the game incredibly hard. Hopefully somebody can help. Thanks!

Screenshot of mobs:
    https://imgur.com/ZuVUgYS
    Plugins, in case that matters:
    https://imgur.com/tXRLzbj
    Bukkit.yml:
    Code (YAML):
    settings:
      allow-end
    : true
      warn-on-overload
      permissions-file
    : permissions.yml
      update-folder
    : update
      plugin-profiling
    : false
      connection-throttle
    : 4000
      query-plugins
      deprecated-verbose
    : default
      shutdown-message
    : Server closed
      minimum-api
    : none
    spawn-limits
    :
      monsters
    : 70
      animals
    : 10
      water-animals
    : 15
      water-ambient
    : 20
      ambient
    : 15
    chunk-gc
    :
      period-in-ticks
    : 600
    ticks-per
    :
      animal-spawns
    : 400
      monster-spawns
    : 1
      water-spawns
      water-ambient-spawns
      ambient-spawns
      autosave
    : 6000
    aliases
    : now-in-commands.yml

2. Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the exact same issue

3. 1.16.2 is too outdated, upgrade to 1.16.5 to fix any known issues, this will in the long run help with plugins that help with nerfing mobs, such as "mobs farm manager"

4. I managed to resolve my issue.

The reason why I had such extreme spawn rates was the visibility set very high (16 chunks) on the server. The more chunks loaded, the higher the spawn limit for monsters. I had a theoretical mob cap of over 260 monsters per player. However, since monsters only spawn within a 4 chunk radius (the 128 block diameter) of a player, these extreme accumulations occur.

upload_2021-6-17_13-23-34.png

So the solution is to reduce the number of ticked chunks. In this case I reset them to 8. In Paper you can set separate radiuses for ticked and unticked chunks. Only ticked chunks are eligable for spawning. This keeps the high view distance and gives us normal spawn rates.

In Spigot you would have to fiddle with the actual spawn rates in bukkit.yml to get it to a lower value.

5. Yes. It turned out to actually be caused by a "spectator mode" plugin (which allowed players to enter spectator mode and return them where they left after). It was setting the PersistenceRequired tag true for all mobs around, which made it so nothing would despawn. Removing that plugin and then purging the existing mobs seemed to fix my problem.
    If you aren't using this plugin, you might try checking entity data of the mobs around you to see if they have PersistenceRequired true. You may need to systematically disable plugins to find the culprit. Hope I could help.

6. That sounds really strange. Were/are you using the plugin "SMP Spectator Mode"?

7. Yes, I think it was that one. But that server is long gone anyway now.

8. Holy crap. You're totally right. It was not only the view distance that screwed me but that stupid spectator plugin. By default it has an option called "mobs" in the config file that's set to true which prevents mobs from despawning when entering spectator mode and leaving the area. I set it to false and my mob numbers sunk again. Thank you for that tip!