1. Guest, as per the stickied thread, this forum has not been in use since 2014. All bugs and feature requests should be posted to JIRA.

Accepted Spigot-1005 Error Generating chunks.

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feature Requests' started by ataranlen, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Update: I've disabled all plugins, deleted my world file, and updated to latest craftbukkit version and I get this crash on start up when the world tries to generate. Going to try the java upgrade..

2. Updating java to:
    java version "1.7.0_25"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)
    Didn't help, still getting a crash. Also, I've deleted my world and tried vanilla minecraft_server.jar, same crash. =\ I guess I'll stop spamming the spigot forums since its not spigot.

EDIT: fixed it, I was setting the stack size in the java options and it was too low. I removed the -Xss and it seems to be fine now.

#22 netizen, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. no crashes since?

I have 41 crash reports, either getting this:

Time: 7/7/13 5:43 PM
    Description: Exception while updating neighbours

java.lang.StackOverflowError

or this:

Time: 7/7/13 4:57 PM
    Description: Exception in server tick loop

java.lang.RuntimeException: Already decorating!!

any solution at all anyone?

4. Correct, no more crashes after I got rid of that option and let the stack size stay default. Are you experiencing the same problem I was with vanilla MC?

5. md_5

Administrator Developer

Earmarked this to be fixed since its interfering massively with my multithreading

• Like Like x 2

6. Don't see how changing the stack size would stop this crash as I don't see how it's related. Especially since we have used the same setup for at least 4 versions of minecraft. As for the same problem I believe we are, teozfrank works for me. But I believe md_5 must have found the cause if it's interfering with his multithreading.
    Let's hope this get's sorted.

7. not vanilla, but its happening in spigot, not as often as it used to tho but its still annoying though :/

8. yay, no rush though :)

9. mikeprimm

mikeprimm Retired Developer
    Retired

I think we might need to be sure that chunk generation (versus chunk loading) is synchronized. There are lots of issues, last I saw, with the generator code not being thread safe (lots of static state variables and the like). The synchronize in CB's getBlockAt() might help avoid it some (although no completely, since there are other paths to get to chunk generation - its there to protect the chunk cache, so it doesn't fix issues with lack of thread safety in the chunk generation across worlds, for example), but I think the real fix would be to do something down around here ( https://github.com/SpigotMC/Spigot-...inecraft/server/ChunkProviderServer.java#L112 ),

10. There may be multiple issues with similar symptoms. I was experiecing similar issues as ataranlen
    ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/igkwu3riclwbd2o/MineTexas Crash Log 2013-07-07 16-42-24.txt )

During chunk generation with water/lava tiles in them, the server would run out of stack space issuing a stack overflow exception, hence why increasing the stack space fixed the issue for me.

Once the stack overflow exception occured, I'd then begin to see messages like: "java.lang.RuntimeException: Already decorating!!"

Updating to the latest Java version and getting rid of my -Xss argument seems to have fixed something for me.

11. Just had this issue again today with the Spigot v1130.

12. i get it every day, 10 crashes today to be precise :/

13. joshwenke

Wiki Team

Got this same error, confirmed that removing -Xss from the startup script fixed it.

14. I have already removed -Xss from my shell script's startup line. Confirmed that the error STILL occurs, though less often. (This could be because I am discouraging users from exploring. On a world 6 months old, this is detrimental to gameplay) What is the default -Xss? I have plenty of RAM to throw at it, just need to know the right setting to keep it from crashing.