Spigot Community Server

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smmmadden

Benefactor

@RomaqRosher and @MiniDigger are 100% correct - the more feedback provided to the Spigot developers, the quicker they can fix them for us.
    Another reason to put Spigot behind BungeeCord is to hide the servers from external connections. BungeeCord is a proxy so all traffic hits ONE server and from there, requests are sent to the others as needed. For me, this enabled me to have all users hit Bungee first, then get redirected to my Hub world (or lobby as the docs describe). Once in The Hub, I have portals that players can go through which will tp them to one of 7 other worlds (creative, survival, adventure, etc). This means that the ports for the Spigot servers do not need to be exposed to outside the network and only one (the Bungee server) needs to. It's more secure to go through a proxy than direct. PM me if you need details on how to set this up for your environment. I'm happy to help. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. "testing Bungee" I understood the same. If you are going to bother setting up and testing a development server, you may as well test the whole thing including Bungee.

3. That makes sense, but I'm wondering. What are they protecting it from? I understand bungeecord is basically a reverse proxy. Makes sense to test bungeecord however. :)

4. smmmadden

Benefactor

from a networking perspective, it means we're not opening up more ports and ip's to the world and only have the one for bungee. There are other firewall advantages using this as you can imagine with reverse proxies.

5. Well in SpigotCraft's case, aside from testing, if it's because of not opening more ports, well there's only one server behind it.

6. smmmadden

Benefactor

no, it isn't just about opening or not opening more ports. It's about Networking, DDoS and protecting your data by implementing firewalls to mitigate any risk to you and your players. This goes well beyond the scope of the original topic. :) It's a choice, use Bungee or not, either way it works and either way its up to the server owner to take proper steps in protecting the data.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Well what if someone did DDoS your server and your host doesn't provide DDoS protection nor your behind a third party DDoS solution?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I'd say it might be time to find a better provider, but all this still gets away from the "spigot-community-server" point of "they need to test everything they can of what they code" and "bungee is part of the code that needs testing prior to release". So in my opinion, @md_5 would be pretty foolish *not* to have Bungee issues hammered out as part of the testing, and I don't see @md_5 as being anyone's fool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I'll check it, thanks! :)

10. wooo for prereleases! great job

11. I love how Spigot is so early, Can't wait for Spigot's full release today ;)

12. Thanks you are incredible!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. DiscoverSquishy

Benefactor

How does md-5 even manage to make pre spigot?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. MiniDigger

Supporter

Well, if Mojang release an update it doesn't matter what version number it has. He can update to a snapshot or pre version of minecraft the same way he updates to any other version. If he does update to pre versions its just more work, but I would say it's worth it because of the extra testing time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yas! I am glad Spigot is updating to the newest Minecraft version (as always)!

16. There is only 1 slot on the server :D

17. KiaraPaw

Supporter

Can I be promoted to the next rank on the server? I have 502 posts on here. :3 I am currently at the Tester rank.
    @md_5

18. Legoman99573

Supporter

even though some plugin devs aren't fans of pre releases, which some plugins just slow down updating rather than speed it up

19. @ysl3000 has promoted me because i had 100+ posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. i;m gonna join litttt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.