Spigot Fork/Clone

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by KiranHart, May 3, 2017.

1. If you want to fork spigot and contribute to the actual spigot project, you're going to need to sign the CLA and wait to be accepted, they usually don't reject anyone. After that, you can fork Spigot on the Stash, clone it, make changes, push and PR. If you just want to clone spigot for some custom modifications that you don't want merged, you can just clone the Bukkit and CraftBukkit projects in Stash, make your changes and recompile

2. So I would have to get the craft bukkit and bukkit source from the spigot stash? I did it with the craft bukkit alone and I got a lot of errors and stuff

3. With craftbukkit, you need to manually apply NMS patches from decompiled source. I'm not sure but I believe there is a guide (Basically, do ./apply-patches.sh /BuildTools/root/here/work/decompile-xxxxxx

4. Thanks, I'll try that

5. I can't seem to get this to work, is there any videos you guys know of that shows how to do this

6. Actually, I think if you use BuildTools it gives you a local maven repository of the source code of the server, you might want to try that. I am not sure if that's the tutorial I used originally, it may have been something different, I'll look around.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WAS

WAS

It's weird you'd have to fill out anything to fork/clone Open Source software. Otherwise, it is not so. So is spigot not Open Source?

8. Probably just to deter spammers or something.

9. Spigot is open source, but they don't want to run into another Wolverness with a different contributor. So the CLA is basially saying that you give Spigot the rights to the code you write for the spigot project. If you want to go make your own fork, you still can, but they need to protect themselves

10. WAS

WAS

That's a contradiction to open-source software. For contribution, sure, fine and dandy, but forking doesn't inherently mean you are going to merge back. Some people fork just to do their own modifications. For example, some Github forks are unofficial releases and "improved" versions (in the eyes of the forked developer).

There should just be project control. No one should be able to push to the project without approval. If said pending commit is from a author that is not approved... you don't approve... sort of thing.

It is true in the sense of BuildTools, but that's a sorta dodgy way to say "oh yeah it's open source, but you gotta build all this other shit that is not relevant to your target"

HumHub has their CLA just like many do, but you can still fork/clone right of their repo. It's only for merging back so they know who is attempting to merge a commit.