Spigot Vanilla server Lag spikes

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Cicciomax, Mar 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi from Italy guys! Recently I bought a VPS S SSD from Contabo, so I have:
    RAM: 8gb
    SSD: 200gb
    CPU: Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 v4 2.20ghz
    UPSTREAM: 200Gbit/s

I installed Spigot for 1.15.2 and these plugins:
    ClearLag
    Essentials
    SkinRestorer
    SleepMost
    We are less than 10 players doing a survival vanilla and we got some lag spikes, I know that sometimes World Savings could cause them so I installed Essential to schedule them without any success.
    I tried to activate Lag Spike Helper from ClearLag to see if I can see any problems in the log and there are many types of warnings so I don't know what it can be.
    I firstly installed a pure vanilla server on it and I had lag spikes problems too
    I tried to contact Contabo to see if they have any problem with the VPS and the did some tests but they see no problems
    Thank you!

#1 Cicciomax, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  2. Phoenix616

Resource Staff

Your main issue is that your CPU isn't really made for a game/Minecraft server, you'll want one with a good single thread performance.

As for saving: The server itself will handle that, there is no need to use a plugin to schedule it and they tend to hurt even more than they help. You can set the rate at which it saves in the bukkit.yml (of course the longer you wait between saves the more you'll loose when the server crashes). Also ClearLag often only hides lag and doesn't actually solve it, I suggest disabling all automatic measures and use timings to figure out what exactly is causing lag on your server and then reduce that by tweaking your settings.

3. Aren't the 1.15+ versions pretty busted right now?
    I remember trying to play on the newer versions of Bukkit and there was just so much lag.
    Playing on 1.12 solved the lag (which is my experience at least).

4. Thank you for the advices, I'll remove Clearlag and Essential I guess.
    The thing is that I already bought a the same server 2 years ago but I had no issues, maybe 1.15 needs high specs than 2 years ago...

"I suggest disabling all automatic measures and use timings to figure out what exactly is causing lag on your server" could you explain what you mean buy "automatic measures" and "timings"

Thank you!

5. Phoenix616

Resource Staff

Yes, 1.14/1.15 is more resource hungry than older versions were due to internal changes by Mojang.

The server has an inbuild recording system for server/plugin functions which is accessible via /timings.
    As for the automatic measures: Plugins like ClearLagg tend to add functions to remove mobs and other entities in an interval or when the server lags which tends to only result in the server trying to spawn even more entities and wasting processing power that way. Instead of using such things one should tweak the spawn rate and limits in the server config files so that only a reasonable amount is spawned in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.