Suggestion SpigotForge

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by ExplosiveNight, May 12, 2017.

1. DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know Sponge exists, but it is buggy as fuck and the plugin support isn't quite there.

Hello all! Since kCauldron and Cauldron stopped being developed, us modded server operators and owners haven't had any good platform for forge. I think it would be great if either the Spigot team or a developer made a server that works with spigot plugins AND forge mods. Sponge and pore are no longer adaquate, as pore has stopped being developed. It doesn't need to support every plugin, it doesn't need to support NMS stuff, just a half decent server for forge.

I hope this gets developed in the near future, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. I think that has been suggested before and denied. Idk why though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Hint: a part of the reason why kCauldron died was because of the stupid amounts of effort it takes to maintain such a setup, as well as all the bugs and other issues it introduces. There it literally no nice way for a proper support between the two to occur without breaking existing plugins, or just basically half-assing the forge integration, which is far beyond creating a suitable solution that is actually worth it.

Also, for the stupid amount of effort it would take to perform such a task, the gain to the developer of such a system would be far from it being worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Now we just wait for @md_5 to say no. and lock the thread

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MiniDigger

Supporter

why open a thread when everybody knows that its impossible? seems rather pointless

6. who said it was impossible?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. MiniDigger

Supporter

the possibilities that spigot would ever assign resources to that are extremely slim, for the reasons electronicboy pointed out.
    if you want forge mods, just write stuff you would write a spigot plugins as forge mods, don't see a need to mash those two together, it would create an unmaintainable mess. just support bukkit alone is hard enough sometimes.

8. Totally agree :) I found my self in that situation too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. md_5

Administrator Developer

You can have Spigot or you can have SpigotForge.
    You can't have both, and I think the community prefers having the former.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. This seems like having the Bukkit/Spigot API on Forge/Sponge on Forge. Nice idea!

• Like Like x 1
  11. If not the Spigot team, could someone else fork spigot and implement forge?

12. md_5

Administrator Developer

Sure, thats what Cauldron was. But guess what, its a lot of work and that's why no one has done it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Alright then, I guess I'll keep using sponge's (very limited) plugin library

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Not sure if it works, but take a look at Pore

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. MiniDigger

Supporter

> 2016/04/19: We're officially discontinuing the project.
    seems like a great idea to use that ^^
    "Well, we're officially killing Pore. We had fun developing it over the past year and a half(!), but unfortunately we believe it's no longer worth the effort to continue work on it."

• Like Like x 1