Solved Sponsored plugin question

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Help' started by torpkev, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Quick question, maybe the wrong area to ask though.

I've had a Minecraft server provider approach me and offer me access to a server to showcase my plugins in exchange for putting their logo and a link on my plugin descriptions.

Anyone had any experience with this and know what the rules are regarding it? While it would be helpful, I don't want to fall foul of the rules (written or unwritten) of the site.

Thanks

2. I wouldn't do that, you can get into trouble with the EULA. The problem is that you are not allowed to market the product yourself. The "/plugin" command belongs to a MC server (you have to ask yourself if the command was implemented directly by MC). If so, you don't have the right to sell it because you are trying to sell a direct function of the game. Also, "advertising" in the game is in itself very borderline to the TOS/EULA. You should be clever about it.

3. Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining properly.

They'd like to put a logo on my spigot page, for example: https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/...prevention-protection-fields-1-13-1-14.64393/

4. I've seen other plugins authors do it and haven't seen them get into trouble for it, I'd highly assume it's fine.

5. Aaaah i thought you mean Ingame.You'd better go straight to Spigot about something like this:
    Code (Text):

6. Thanks guys.

The offer came via my Discord, not spigot, so I don't think they've broken the rules in asking - but wanted to see if *I* would be breaking any. Doesn't seem like I would, it exists.. but I'll give it some thought before I move forward (unless @md_5 would like to comment on its legality?)

7. There's no issue with the request being on Discord, but it depends on what they want you to advertise. Take a look at rule 7 for specifics on what kind of advertising is allowed and isn't.

8. Perfect, thank you.

Rule 7, section 5 - Advertisements (including sponsorships) are allowed on resource pages within the following limits [..]

Appreciate the help, will mark this complete!