Stance on long forum posts

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by Varmetek, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Hello Spigot world, I'm planning on posting a public resource in the Plugin Development forum but I'm worried that the post may be so long that no one would like to read it. As the title suggests, what is the spigot forum's stance on extremely long posts.

For context, I'm writing about this resource like a sales pitch, including information about why it's needed, how it works, and how to extend from it. I'm in the middle of writing it as of the time that this thread is created so I would like some feedback before I'm too far gone in text.

2. DavidDevelops

Supporter

If its a resource and its needed, If anyone goes to it they are going to read it as they need it, i personally like longer posts as they make more sense and help much more, Id read it, But you'll never know unless you do it, id advice just making a mini section of everything above, Like a briefing of it

3. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

Highlight the most essential features and if that takes up a lot of space so be it. Just stay on topic or you are going to get people lost and they may skip your post then.

One more thing. Why are you posting it in the forums and not as an actual resource?

#3 Benz56, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  4. Strahan

Benefactor

I don't mind long posts so long as they are long with information and not just babbling.

I'd also hope you intend to break it into sections with section headers and not just a freaking huge wall o' text.

5. I'm actually doing both. The plugin development forum will be used to give attention to the API and a plugin demo will be uploaded as a resource for those who would simply like to play with it.

6. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

Could you perhaps disclose what the resource is?

Generally I’d say using the forums as a place to post updates about your resource is a bad idea and is in most cases frowned upon. It would mainly seem as a way to draw attention to your resource which is “advertising” broadly speaking.

7. Strahan

Benefactor

Hell, that's advertising normally speaking lol. That's like the definition of advertising :)

8. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

Well, then I’d say it is definitely a bad idea! ;)

9. TheJavaHacker

Supporter

I would typically suggest that it is a bad idea due to the attention span of a portion of some people on these forums is absolutely useless, however it is also beneficial to those that have the attention span and want to know more, as it would give them an in-depth look into how your resource will work.