Starting up a server

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by TropicalServers, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Hello Spigot members,

I have around $300 to spend on making a Minecraft server but I have no clue where to start spending the money, I currently don't have a server host so I will be needing a good server host for my budget.

If anyone could possible do something like this I would be very grateful:

- Max amount on developers: $50
    - Max amount on server hosting: $30
    - Max amount on advertisement: $160
    - Max amount on graphics: $50
    - Max amount on builders: $80

(All of the above are just random numbers so don't tell me it doesn't add up to $300 I know it doesn't)

Thanks for the help in advance,
    James

2. I could set up the dedicated server for you if you want just add me on skype: robstar231

3. Or VPS depending on what you want (Note: To run the server smoothly I recommend CentOS)

4. Can't you build yourself?

5. I can build my self but if I hired professional builders to build me a spawn I am sure they would do a better job than me and I feel that a spawn is a rather important part of a server, it's one of/if not the first thing the player see's when they first log on. I personally have always tended to give the server "a go" if they have an amazing spawn which is unique. My opinion.

6. Thanks for the offer but I know how to setup & run servers, I have just never had more than $20 to spend on a server so I would like to know how people suggest I spend $300

7. I started my server up with $100 this is how I spent my money:

Builds: $20
    Server: $10 (I ran shared hosting)
    Plugins: $50 (Some where around that)
    Banner: $20

This is my opinion on what you should do, you do not have to follow it!
    Builds: $100 (To get something decent in size)
    Server: $20 (Use a shared one unless you are willing to spend a lot)
    Graphics: $50
    Developers: $120

I suggest you hold of advertising until the second month of your server being up. I have noticed that when more players are on you spot bugs and small mistakes which you skipped/didn't notice while you were testing. You don't want to be advertising while your server still has a few bugs/errors here and there.
    GL

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Thank you very much! That sounds like a good idea, I will be using shared hosting so $20 sounds about right! :)