Starting Web Development

Discussion in 'Programming' started by RuneCore, May 4, 2015.

1. Hi, I'd love to start making websites. But I literally have no idea where to start. I understand fundementals relating to programming and I'm fluent in several programming languages.

What will I need to learn / have?
    Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

2. Well HTML for starters :p

3. what kind of web development?
    do you wanna write front-ends or back-ends?

if you wanna write front-ends, your best friends will be HTML, CSS and some JavaScript.

as for backends, that is a large answer.
    the most used language for back-ends is PHP. but many will tell you that PHP is shit, it kinda is.

backend web development has expanded into something huge in the past 10 years, for example:
    Facebook's Hack language
    Google's Go language (and Dart)
    NodeJS
    Ruby on Rails
    ASP.NET
    Django
    (Python Framework)
    and that's only to name a few..

4. If you just want training wheels for basic web development and don't want to pay, codecademy is the best you're going to get (it's still terrible though).
    I agree with this list though I would personally recommend against ASP.net and consider NodeJS over Go.

5. oh yea, I have never personally worked with ASP.net or Go but I love my NodeJS.

I was just giving him a list of some of the popular languages used for backend web development.

6. While PHP is notorious for being horrendous, ASP is far worse. Just saying :p

7. I love php :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I'm assuming you haven't given any other backend language a fair try ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Very true. Too busy to really devote time to something new. Maybe one day.